Let's Play a Game (18)

Kate didn't come to school on Monday, which really worried me a lot. She also wasn't answering her phone, so I had no way I could have reached her. I was thinking about actually going over to her house until I bumped into her in front of the school.

"Kate!" I nearly shouted when I saw her, and she quickly shushed me so no one would look over at us. Doing as I was told, I now whispered, "Where were you today? I've been calling and texting you and you haven't responded at all! You were really starting to worry me!"

She grabbed onto my wrist, pulling me away from the front of the school and back onto campus without saying a word to me. This freaked me out even more, but I said nothing to her as she continued to drag me.

"I wasn't at school today because I went to the doctor. My mom forced me to," Kate finally told me once we stopped behind a building a few yards away from the basketball courts. "The doctor just confirmed what I already knew. I'm five months pregnant."

"Five months?" I nearly shrieked, not believing that she was that far along without knowing for sure that she was pregnant. "How are you not showing yet?"

Kate shrugged, wiping at her eyes so she wouldn't start crying, but I knew there was nothing she could do to stop the tears from flowing. "My doctor says that everyone's different, but I'll probably start showing really soon."

"Did you find out the gender?" I had to ask, because that had always been the most exciting part about having a baby. "I'm pretty sure you can find out the gender at five months."

Kate shrugged again. "I don't know, my doctor didn't talk about the gender. He'll probably talk about it the next time I see him, but I don't want to know the gender. I want it to be a surprise."

I just smiled at her. She was excited, I knew she was, but at the same time I knew she wasn't as well. She wanted to have a baby at a young age, but I knew she didn't want one this young. She had told me so many times that she wanted to marry Logan, but I had no idea how he felt about any of this.

"Logan's playing at the basketball courts today, right?" she asked me now. "He told me last week that he was going to play with the guys today."

"Yeah," I nodded, remembering that both Johnny and Zach had told me that they were going to be playing basketball after school. "He should be over there, unless he got stuck in class for some reason."

Kate took a deep breath. "I'm going to tell him today."

"Really?" I asked, my eyes widening at her. "But... he's with a bunch of guys right now!"

Kate shook her head. "I'll make them go away or I'll pull Logan away. If I don't tell him right now, I don't think I will. I'll be too scared if I don't do it now."

I nodded at her. "Okay, then now's the time to do it."

"You'll be there when I tell him, right?" Kate sniffed, twiddling her thumbs nervously as she stared down at the ground. "I really don't want to be alone for this."

"Of course I'll be there with you," I smiled, grabbing onto her hand and smiling at her encouragingly. "Maybe we should go and tell him right now. The faster you do it, the faster it'll be over."

Kate didn't move for a moment, and only stared at me for a moment. I stared back at her, waiting for her to speak now.

"I... I think I actually want to tell him alone," Kate mumbled, staring down at the ground now. "I'm afraid that... he'll be embarrassed if someone else is there. So can you please just... wait for me?"

It probably would have been a good idea if I wasn't with her. Logan might have been a nice guy, but who knew how he was going to react to news like this? It was something that would be really hard to take in.