2: Chased By Vampires

"Ding ding! Correct!" The vampire said amusedly. My eyes slip from him to his hand near my head, blocking my escape. Looking past him I observe his companions, who look more like followers than leaders. This guy must be someone high up on the ladder.

"Who are you?" I ask him not so kindly. He brushes my sharpness off like nothing, gesturing grandly at himself. "I am Varian, the leader of the Bloodless Covenant. And you, my fellow," he jabs his finger in my chest, "are in our territory." Great, I have the local covenant on my ass now.

"But," his wicked smile turned thoughtful as he tipped his head to the side, looking closely at me, "the real question is what are you? You're not a warlock, you don't have the eyes." His hand began to reach to cup my face, which I smacked away with a glare. He chuckled but continues, "And you're too feisty to be a wizard. They look down upon others too much."

I growl at him, "What do you want with me?" The vampire feigned surprise as he replied in his sickly sweet tone, "We just want to figure out what you are, that's all." I scowl at his response and try to push off the wall. All playfulness disappeared from his expression and he gripped my shoulders, pushing me back against the wall roughly. "Let go," I grit out at him, quickly losing my temper. Varian clucks his tongue at me. "Not until Little Spitfire tells us what he is."

My green eyes start to radiate an evident glow with my riled up magic. His brown eyes widen in shock, the other two vampires straightening up once they sensed my magic. "I said. Let. Go," I growl at Varian.

"Oh hoho!" Varian recovered from his shock, a wickedly sinister smile on his face. "Lookie here, we have a witch on our land! And a boy to beat it!" He exclaims to his companions. He leans in close to my face, voice cold and void of emotion. "I haven't seen one of your kind for fifteen decades."

A shiver of anticipation runs through me as I realize the full extent of the danger I was in. My arms shot out and I roughly push against his chest. Varian stumbles back, surprise clear on his face as I turn towards the exit and bolt. I stumble as I attempt to make the sharp turn around the corner, leaving the three vampires too shocked to move.

"Ah shit, shit, shit!" I mutter to myself as the three vamps begin to give chase. I guess I could use my magic, but because these idiots can sense my magic, they can easily pinpoint me if I use it. There's too many civilians around to use magic anyway; they would get caught in the crossfire. There's only one other option I can think of right now, but she's not going to be happy.

"Morrigan! Morrigan, I could really use your help about now!" I yell out mentally. I could feel her bristle from my sudden yell, and hear her hiss her annoyance. "What now, kid? I was taking a cat nap for goodness' sakes." She grumbled in my head.

"I told you before, it's North, not kid. And the local covenant found me." I inform her. Morrigan is my familiar. She typically comes in the form of a cat, but can turn into different things like birds. I actually found out about her when she showed up one day when I was younger, maybe about ten years old. She could actually care less about things and hates to be bothered.

I sense her straighten up and a sense of urgency come over her in the mind link we share. "North, I'm on my way. I'll be there in less than two minutes." That's the only time that she calls me by my first name, is when she's serious. All I have to do in the mean time is outrun these seriously overpowered Residents. But wait, aren't I overpowered too for a Resident?

"North! Turn left, now!" My body tips at a dangerous angle as I attempt to turn, threatening to crash to the concrete floor as my shoes try and find purchase with the ground. I scramble into the alleyway Morrigan directed me to, but find only a dead end and a green city dumpster. I look over my shoulder upon hearing the growing shouts of Varian and his followers.

"North!" A familiar voice calls to me. I turn in the direction of the voice and see a black cat with icy blue eyes. The cat waves a paw at me, beckoning me closer. "Quickly!" Morrigan the cat said urgently. I scramble over to her, crouching down in the corner behind the green dumpster.

Morrigan jumps into my lap and stands up on her back legs, her front paws against my chest. She gives me a quick lick on the nose with her coarse tongue, then pushes off my chest and hunches down into my lap. Her eyes start to glow a icy blue, signaling that she was using magic.

The world around us began to ripple slightly, like when someone disturbs the surface of a calm pond. Varian and his two followers careen around the corner just a moment later. "It's a dead end, Boss," one hissed. He had bleached blonde hair like Varian, and a shiny nose ring. "Damn it! We lost the witch!" A string of colorful curses, most of which were indistinguishable, flowed from Varian's mouth.

The third vampire stood silent as he himself surveyed the area. He had natural brown hair, and seemed to be the less intimidating one of the three. He was maybe a little older than I was, looking to be about eighteen. "Why did we even chase him? He isn't a threat to the covenant." He mumbles to himself, not meaning for his leader to hear him.

Varian whirls on him. "Have you not learned anything from history?" He snarls at him, cornering the younger vampire. The boy was scared shitless, his already pale skin even paler than before. "Witches were the most powerful beings of all Residents!" He eyed the younger boy in front of him. "You are too young to have seen witches. You're only, what, 140? You've barely seen anything this world has to offer!" He mocked the young vampire, throwing back his head and laughing.

Morrigan and I watched as the boy's cheeks flare a light pink, but stays silent. Varian gives the dead alley one last sweeping look before turning back towards his companions. "Let's go back home. If that witch decides to start any magic shows again, we'll know." It was almost like he was partly talking to us, as if he knew we were listening in.

I held my breath as Varian walked past our hiding spot, not giving any recognition to us. Looks like Morrigan's veil is working. He was closely followed by the guy with the nose ring. The brown haired boy stayed behind for a moment, looking around.

His dark blue eyes landed on our hiding spot, making my heart skip a beat. His eyes met mine momentarily, my stomach twisting into deep knots. He looked away and started running to catch up with Varian. I couldn't breathe for a second. I could have sworn that we made eye contact; but if that was the case, then why didn't he call Varian back? Could it be he knowingly let me free? No, I must have mistaken; all Residents are the same.

The same people who hunt me for my power, and kill me for the threat of it.