Chapter Twenty-Nine {Cheerleaders}

"A ball? I didn't get any email about a ball." Jorden complained as we walked down 30th street, coffees in hand. We walked with Jon, one of the defencemen. He was a scruffy guy, with a shaggy bread and long dirty blond hair that was normally up in a man bun. Sometimes it reminded me of Henry, the hair. But when that happened I liked to remember that Henry cut all his hair off. It wasn't like I'd get to run my finger in it ever again.

I shook the thought from my head as I looked back to Jorden who wore a black beany that just barely covered his ears, his breath coming out in puffs in the cold Canadian air. Jon huffed on the other side of me, looking at his Tim Hortons cup like it was going to answer all his questions. "Of course Matty got invited to a ball. He's goody-two-shoes. They don't want a rowdy hockey player at their fancy charity dance. They want shiny shoes and a hot face. No homo dude."

I laughed, feeling a bit of nerve at his comment. "No homo." I took a sip of my coffee. "Where would I get a mask?"

"The dollar store? It's November, they have that shit on sale." Jon commented, looking around the busy street. "There. They have masks in their window. When is this party?"

"Next weekend. In Vancouver. I'll have to fly out Friday."

"This asshole. I want to go." Jorden mock pouted.

"Come to Vancouver and be my plus one. Dumb ass."

"Aw, Matty you wanna date me?" Jorden batted his lashes at me, a snicker passing his lips as he stopped me, one foot in the air while he hung onto the collar of my peacoat. "Come on, give me a kissey." He puckered his lips, I broke out in a laugh, shoving him away from me and sidestepping him, catching back up with Jon who ignored our juvenal lover's quarrel and kept on walking towards the dollar store. We entered the small shop and immediately I was hit by the smell of cheap toys and copper. Around me hung brass wind chimes, feathered dream catchers, and long fake metal chains that would make your skin green after a days wear.

"Here Matt!" Jorden yelled from a few allies over, standing in the old messy Halloween section that only had a few odds and ends left. He was holding up a black velvet like mask with a gold thread going around the outline of it. The mask was only enough o cover my eyes and the top of my nose, and it had a black elastic band that would wrap around my head. It wasn't anything to fancy, but judging by the looks of this place it was the best I was going to find.

Buying the mask I bid a goodbye and thank you to the young cashier who just gave us a shy wave. Once we got back to the hotel room it was time to pack our bags and move out.

I was the first one in the lobby, looking around at the crowd of photographers and fans that crowded around the team's bus, I watched them with a hint of excitement. Something about all the fame just made me all giddy on the inside. I looked away just as two other teammates walked out of the golden elevator and towards me with their bags in tow. The first one was Madox, the right wing who had black hair and olive skin thanks to his Greek roots and walking beside him talking about who knows what was none other than Joseph F. Tents. My high school bestie.

Joey hadn't changed much, his orange hair was now cut short to his head, a ginger beard growing on his face, and when he wasn't playing hockey he wore a pair of brown glasses around his green eyes. How we ended up on the same NHL hockey team was beyond me. We didn't even speak after Henry went MIA. I couldn't even look at him knowing he played a part in my happiness leaving me.

What can I say, I was dramatic. But when Henry left, a lot of my joy went too. It was hockey and only hockey after that.

God, I hated Joey.

But I had made it my mission when he got drafted to our team to let it all go. Be the adult that I now was and stop letting the little things bug me. Because let's face it, Henry would have left me with or without Joey doing anything to my locker.

We didn't speak much, Joey and I. We did our job and we went our own ways. We had our own group of friends within the team and we stuck with that. We had the odd hello and head nod, but besides that communication was none. Even with him as my assistant captain.

I made a B-line for Jorden when I saw him coming out of the elevator with Jon and Camden, easily sticking myself into their conversation about sports and Camden complain that hockey should have cheerleaders.

"You really think cheerleaders want to dance half dressed in the freezing cold?"

"They can wear tight leggings and a sweater." Candem protested, now sitting in the reclining bus chair next to Jon while Jorden and I sat across from them.

"Jumping in skates?" I added to Jon's statement.

"You think injuries are high in football cheerleaders, wait until you get those guys on the ice," Jorden said with a laugh, which prompted everyone else to laugh thinking about Camden's silly idea.

We were well into the bus ride when my phone pinged with another email from the ball, it was an official invitation that was to be either printed off or scanned from my phone at the door. Apparently, the charity the ball was for was called "Feeding the minds of Tomorrow" And this was going to be the second annual masquerade ball they were going to hold. I nudged Jorden's arm, showing him the email and his face lit up. "That's so cool!" I yelled/whispered. "Please tell me I can still go with you." He begged, batting his eyes at me while hitting his knee off of my own.

"As long as you promise to be on your best behavior. I don't want you to get drunk and start running around with your pants off or something."

"One drink... Two I promise. That's it."

"Fine," I laughed. "I'll pick you up at eight."