Day 5- Broken Deals

Solomon took a deep breath and laid his finger on the trigger. "I am so sorry," he whispered. Madison cowered and closed her eyes.

Suddenly, there was a loud thump. Madison opened her eyes just as Solomon's body hit the floor. Standing over her now was a girl with dark hair. She was holding a heavy metal wrench. Madison scrambled to her feet.

"Who are you?" Madison asked.

The girl opened her mouth then closed it. "It doesn't matter right now," she said. "Granny's coming."

"It would take literally one second," Madison mumbled. The girl dragged her down the stairs into the attic. Madison tripped on the gas can and swept it up into her arms,

The girl grabbed Madison's arm and dragged her to a small hole in the wall. Shoving her in, the girl turned around and ran to the hole in the middle of the floor.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Madison hissed. The girl smiled and jumped, hands catching the plank spanning the length of the hole. It bounced up and down but she kept holding on. She pulled herself up and smiled at Madison. "Fall down through the vent and into the bathroom when Granny gets here," she said. "Good luck. Don't get caught."

And with that, she let go of the board. Madison heard her land on the floorboards below.

Granny came up the attic. "Where are you?" she asked the empty room. Madison turned around and took a deep breath. She stuck her legs through the hole then dropped. She landed hard on her feet, causing shuddering pain to race up her legs. It seemed to decide to stay in her left foot though where she had broken it three years ago. She winced and limped to the door. She opened it. It was still clear. She opened the bedroom door.

"Oh my gosh!" Becca gasped. She ran forward and hugged Madison. "Where did you go?"

Madison shook the can and the gas sloshed around. "Got this in the spider room."

"What do we do with it?" Becca asked.

"I don't know. Oh! Do you know of another girl here with black hair?"

"Other than me?"

"Of course."

"I think we would know of someone else in Granny's house," Becca said with an eyebrow raised. She purses her lips, considering something then

"Well, she helped me," Madison said. "Solomon was going to shoot me and she hit him. Granny probably got him now."

"Solomon tried to kill you?" Becca said, a horrified expression on her face. Madison nodded. "He said Iris would help him out of the house if he killed one of us. Needless to say, he decided on me."

Becca ran a hand down her face and winced. Her fingernail had caught one of the many cuts on her face. Blood began to run down her cheek.

Madison closed her eyes then opened them after a moment. "What happened to your face?"

Becca relayed the short but horrid story. Madison's eyes opened wider and wider as she went on.

"And Solomon still thinks he can trust Iris?" she asked.

"I guess so," Becca said, disgust dripping from her voice.

Madison sat on the bed wearily. "How close are we to getting out of this hole anyway?" she asked.

Becca hopped up onto the table and crossed her legs. "We had just gotten the screwdriver when it all broke loose. We just need the padlock key."

"What's the screwdriver for?"

"I don't know. Corbin knew and he never got to tell us." Becca's face fell. "We've lost so many people."

"Who have you known while you've been here?" Madison asked.