5

Light streamed through the giant windows and spilled over my bed. I rubbed my eyes trying to remember where I was as the previous day slowly sank in. A feeling of dread replaced my relaxed sleep and settled in the pit of my stomach.

I rolled over to see someone standing outside on the balcony, but couldn't make out who it was. I didn't have to wait long to find out; Vlad opened the door, his steaming cup of coffee billowing in the freezing morning air.

He ran his gloved hand through his shoulder length beige-blonde hair. I must have slept through their shift change.

He glanced over at me and did a double take, probably not expecting me to be awake yet.

"Good morning, miss," he greeted in his low-bass voice. "It's early. You should rest."

I shook my head as I sat up. " It's better if I get up now."

"Are you hungry? I'll send for your breakfast," he offered.

I stared at the deep bordeaux wall across the room. "What time is the wedding?"

"Not until this evening. I believe your preparation team will be here in a few hours."

"I guess I'm not allowed to wander around alone?" I asked, turning my attention to the smallest of my four guards. Even being smaller than the other three, he stood nearly six feet tall and his well-maintained full beard made him appear more intimidating.

He offered me an apologetic smile. "Sorry, Miss."

"You can call me Amina," I said as I rubbed my face.

"It'll be 'Your Highness' by tonight."

I swallowed the panic that tried to settle in my chest. My mouth was dry and my stomach churned.

"I don't think I'll ever be comfortable with that."

He grunted a reply and tapped the side of his styrofoam cup. "You should eat. It's going to be a long day."

"Yeah," I muttered. "Can you show me where the kitchen is?"

He let out a light laugh. "Miss, you're royalty now. I'll call your attendant."

That was completely unnecessary. I didn't need or want anyone waiting on me. I was perfectly capable of getting my own food.

I knew the argument was useless though. He wasn't going to risk his job by letting me roam around for food.

I sighed. "Fine."

"You will like Anya. She's my wife."

I offered a weak smile. "How long have you been married?"

"Six years. We met when we were both assigned to Prince Matis."

At least someone found an actual relationship in this place.

"So you're both assigned to me now?"

He shrugged with a sheepish grin. "We enjoy working together. Gives us time away from the kids."

"How many do you have?"

"Five. Three boys, two twin girls. Our baby girls just turned one last week."

"Congratulations. I look forward to meeting them someday."