Chapter 33

Friday, the day before the wedding and Eliza is waiting not too patiently for Charlotte to arrive and take her to Madame Olive's to try on her wedding dress. As Jasper, as well as his mother, predicted he would be so he returned to Chester Valley and she hasn't seen him two days. Admittedly the time apart has worked wonders on her head, not having to face him means she didn't have to think about his confession. What does one say after such a thing? Thank you? That's nice?

Lady Elizabeth De Roch has also been a welcome distraction, she insisted upon staying with her niece until her wedding, which meant Benjamin had to put her up in a guest room that she constantly complains is too draughty. The bickering between nephew and aunt caused great entertainment for Eliza particularly as she isn't the focus of attention for her aunt to criticise. Charlotte was introduced to Elizabeth yesterday and they spent the entire day in a private room discussing the wedding plans to which Eliza was not allowed to contribute or attend, however, her aunt did pull a few strings and the wedding meal is now to be catered by the Queen's private chef.

"Don't bite your nails." Elizabeth chastises as they wait in the living room, Eliza quickly drops her hand from her mouth. Helen and Penny are meant to be joining them but Penny has lost her matching bonnet and most of the household including Benjamin is in an uproar looking for the garment.

"Aunt?" Eliza begins.

"Yes?" Elizabeth says looking at the mirror and patting the feathers upon her hat further down.

"Have you heard from my mother recently?"

"Of course not." She answers not pulling her eyes away from the stuck up feathers but then she turns and eyes her niece suspiciously. "Have you?"

"No," Eliza says quickly, "I was just wondering if she has heard about my wedding."

"That woman lost any right to know anything about you when she ran off to Paris." Her aunt comments stiffly. Eliza nods softly, running her fingers down her plait. The ring has constantly been in the back of her mind, the red ring is still in it's hiding place.

"Found it at last," Helen says breathlessly, Penny follows her holding tightly on to a pale green bonnet.

"At last this foolish running around can stop," Elizabeth says. Helen stiffens but doesn't retaliate. They haven't quite recovered from their shaky start. A prompt knock on the door saves for any more conversation.

"Do you have your boxes?" She asks Eliza who hands her the two cream boxes containing headpiece and veil.

Elizabeth strides from the room followed by an annoyed Helen. Eliza ties the bonnet onto Penny's head and takes her hand, they walk into the hallway and outside to wear Charlotte is eagerly waiting by her carriage. To their dismay, Helen and Elizabeth sit next to each other facing Eliza, Charlotte and Penny, wedged together.

The trip into town can only be described as painful. No one spoke, Penny hummed to herself the entire time earning hash glares from Elizabeth who in return was being glared at by Helen. Eliza simply sat and watched the world fly past. At last, they arrive at Madame Olive's, they all step into the street and Charlotte leads them into the shop.

"My Lady," Madame Olive embraces Charlotte, "A pleasure."

"As always, Madame Olive," Charlotte replies graciously, "You remember, Helen and her daughter Penny?"

"Of course, M'am, miss." She bobs to them.

"And Eliza."

"Lady Eliza." She curtsies to her.

"Madame Olive, this my great aunt," Eliza says introducing Elizabeth. "Lady Elizabeth De Roch."

"An honour my lady."