⚫Chapter 8⚫

The day of our barbecue had finally arrived. We had invited all of our new friends over, which included Kenna. I still couldn't believe that my parents had said yes. This would be our first time inviting a human over. We were going to be outside for the majority of the time. However, the main place that was off limits was the basement. Fortunately, the rest of our house resembled a typical human residence, or at least that's how I saw it, though I knew opinions on the matter could vary. 

"Who's up for some drinks?" Blaike offered as he disappeared inside, returning with a cooler filled with assorted beverages. He distributed them to those who were interested.

I left my spot on the couch and approached Nathan, who was diligently tending to the barbecue. "Do you need help?" I asked. 

"Nah, I think I'm good. Thanks though." 

I turned to see Elias and his girl giggling at a nearby table, which made me cringe. I couldn't bear just sitting there, which is why I had approached Nathan. Asking once more to help, he finally caved in. I had grown accustomed to them being together, but the sight of them still made me sick. 

"Fine, turn the chicken over." So, I took the pair of tongs and began flipping the chicken on the grill.

"I've been meaning to ask you something. Did you ever see that guy again?" Nathan asked me. I paused for a moment, realizing that he had no knowledge abou Elias. In fact, none of our friends knew about him. 

"Uh, yes I did," I admitted, trying to sound casual. 

"Really?" Nathan asked sounding astonished. "What did he say?"

"Well, it was a misunderstanding," I affirmed, and that was the honest truth. 

"Of course it was. He was probably just a creep." I turned my head to look at Elias for the second time. He wasn't a creep but rather a douche. I couldn't believe he had the audacity to bring her to my house. "Yeah," I replied.

"I think Kenna is here!" I heard one of our friends say. Immediately, I dropped the tongs and ran around the house to see Kenna parking her car. With joy, I waited for her to get out of the car and gave her a big hug. 

"I'm so glad you're here!" I exclaimed happily. "Me too! And girl, you did not tell me you lived in a mansion," she said, her eyes wide as she gazed at our impressive house. I chuckled at her reaction.

"I bought a lot of donuts," she said. We both headed to her trunk, where I helped her unload the desserts. 

"Are those donuts?" Raphael asked the moment we walked into the backyard. His face beamed with excitement. "You're an angel," Indigo sighed with pure satisfaction. 

For the next while, we enjoyed each other's company as we ate delicious food. I found myself devouring an excessive number of donuts, which I washed down with some refreshing juice. I tried my best to disregard Elias and his companion, but it was rather hard because they couldn't stop giggling. I was intrigued and desired to know what had them in such good spirits. 

"Leilani," Saphira called out to me, prompting me to glance up and see my parents standing at the screen door. Eagerly, I got to my feet and opened the door for them. "Kenna, meet my mom and dad."

She beamed as they exchanged handshakes. "It is a pleasure to finally meet you Kenna. Leilani won't stop raving about what an incredible friend you've, been" my mom expressed warmly. 

Kenna responded with a compliment of her own, "Oh, it's really her who's the amazing friend. I am beyond grateful for her kindness."

My dad wasn't too talkative because he was still unsure about Kenna, which was understandable I guess. After some more conversation, mostly from my mom, my parents politely indicated their intention to leave. "We don't want to intrude, so enjoy yourselves! Just give us a shout if you need anything."