31.

Excuse any mistakes. Naomi in the mm.

Houston, Texas
Monday afternoon

‪"Girl I'm in love with you, this ain't the honeymoon. We've passed the infatuation phase."

John Legend

  "Mommy, I'm hungry." Jamila breaks the silence in the car. She and Naomi were currently sitting in traffic. They were on their way to Naomi's childhood home to see her mother.

It's not often she sees her especially since the two never really mended their relationship. However, Naomi allows her to see her grandkids every once in a while.

    "Maybe your grandma cooked." Naomi looks at Jamila.

Jamila looks back at her. "Can I be honest, Mommy?"

   "Always." Naomi looks back at her phone.

"I do not like Caty." Jamila wastes no time. "This is the one time where I would have liked to be in the Chi with Daddy and the peasants."

    The driver laughs, snorting in the process at Jamila's comments. Naomi shakes her head at her daughter.

"She's your grandmother."

  Jamila shakes her head. "No, Gramma Senaya is my grandma."

She's an ex crackhead

     Naomi drops her phone into her purse and looks back at Jamila. "Why don't you like Caty?"

"Because you don't."

     Squinting her eyes, Naomi tilts her head slightly. "How you figure that?"

Jamila shrugs. "You don't even call her mama like I call you mama. And it's like she try so hard and I don't like it. It's natural with Gramma Senaya."

     "Listen," Naomi turns to her. "Just because my mom and I have issues doesn't mean it should interfere with y'all's relationship."

"What happened?" Jamila asks. "She hurt you?"

    Naomi nods. "Something like that. If I tell you now, I'm not sure you'll be able to understand it."

Jamila frowns a little. "I'm finna be twelve in two weeks! I'm a big girl."

    Naomi laughs slightly, reaching over and running her hands through Jamila's curly hair. "Okay Grace, I'll tell you when you're twelve."

"I'm gonna hold you to it." Jamila points at her.

    "Yes ma'am."

Jamila looks out of the window then suddenly back at Naomi. "What are you and Daddy getting me?"

    Naomi shakes her head. "It's Chase's birthday, too."

"We two different people, Mommy. We came from the same egg and split. See, two."

    Naomi leans her head back. "Why did I put you in that sex ed class?" She asks herself.

"Sooooo?" Jamila still awaits an answer.

    "Girl, I am not telling you." Naomi waves her off. "It might be nothing if you keep getting on my nerves."

Jamila kisses her teeth. "Mommy, I'm your favorite."

    Naomi side eyes her. "Saint is my favorite."

Jamila gasps dramatically and places her hand over her heart. "Oooh, Mommy, that cut me deep."