•25•

The next morning Jimin didn't show up to breakfast. 

"Hangover," was all Hoseok said, but Jin suspected that it wasn't just that. Jimin must be avoiding him. 

Jimin's date with the king aired on The Reveal that morning. Seokjin watched every minute of it, his eyes never turning away from the screen as the two on it talked, laughed, got tipsy and then proceeded to sloppily kiss one another. 

Beside him, Taehyung cursed under his breath, stood up and walked away.

The other candidates watching the episode were absolutely shocked. Seokjin understood their stupor perfectly. Jimin was cute. He looked gentle and harmless. No one ever considered him a threat even when the public adored him so much. But in his own way Jimin had an amazing explainable charisma.

Seokjin had noticed it from the beginning of their friendship, Hoseok and Tae caught on later on. Maybe Jimin never noticed it himself, but he was rather manipulative. He would guilt you into having his way or even just catch you off guard with his cuteness. Everyone they knew loved Jimin, even if Jimin always said that it wasn't true. The other candidates themselves would help Jimin carry things, feed him food, and give him small gifts. It was unavoidable. It was the Jimin-effect. 

The only one who never really showed Jimin the attention everyone else did had been his own father.

"Hyung."

Seokjin turned his head blankly to the side. Next to him was a very concerned Hoseok. Seokjin didn't even notice when he had sat down. He seemed nervous, he was fidgeting. "Yes, Hobi?"

"I," Hoseok visibly gulped, he lowered his voice, leaning in closer. "Its my day to date the king," he said softly, "Do you...do you want me to say anything to him?"

He glanced around, the other candidates were whispering among themselves, no one paying attention to the two of them. Seokjin just gave Hoseok a soft smile, that didn't quite reach his eyes. "I don't know what you mean, Hoseok-ah."

"Don't play dumb with me, Hyung. You may not have told me anything but I've caught on. I know you and the king had something going on."

"Had something," Seokjin said, laughing a bit, "Apparently not any more." 

Hoseok stared at Jin's face for a long time. It was almost as if he was searching for some answers there. As if he was expecting Seokjin to just break down crying and tell him everything. He sighed when nothing happened. "You could've told me, Hyung."

"No point in it now."

"Hyung, come on!" Hoseok whined, straightening up and furrowing his brows in annoyance, "Look, I know you're shocked, but being mad at Jimin won't-"

"I'm not mad at Jimin."

Hoseok blinked. 

"I'm not mad at Jimin," Seokjin repeated, "And I'm not mad at Namjoon either. I'm mostly mad at myself, really," he added nonchalantly. He fumbled with the silver chain around his neck, staring at the TV screen and watching a news recap the incident. He felt a sharp pain in his chest, "I actually thought..."

What did he think? This was a competition, wasn't it? 

He sighed, "I'll hear Jimin's version when he's ready to talk. As for His Majesty," his lips formed a thin line, "I guess I'll have to be fair and hear what he has to say too."

Knowing Jin for as long as he did, Hoseok knew what this was. He was going to give up. Seokjin had always been so selfless, putting others before himself, never speaking up when somebody hurt him. He had always been the peacemaker.