A Jelly Cruller and a Good Talk

Tina Scamander was being most odd. 

Ned Veigler wasn't sure exactly what it was about the way she was acting - but there was something about it that was odd. He sat in the plush chair that he'd conjured in his room in Newt's briefcase, reading an old text about werewolf clans, and he heard her sing-humming from down the hall. He lowered his book, which the Niffler sitting beside him mimicked by lowering her coin, and leaned in his seat to see what Tina was doing.

She was waving her wand and there were flickering lights in the little area that they used as a kitchen-slash-incubation-slash-ice room for various beasts who needed extreme temperatures to survive. Ned glanced at the Niffler, one eyebrow raised. The niffler pocketed his coin and scrambled down the chair, rustling off down the hallway. "Yes, good idea," Ned murmured, "Investigate." He dog-eared the corner of his book and dropped it onto the chair, making his way down the hall as quietly as possible.

In the kitchen, Tina was cooking what appeared to be a bit of a feast.

"Special night?" Ned asked, startling her.

She smacked him with her wand, "Announce yourself next time! It doesn't do to sneak up on a lady."

Suddenly there was someone up behind him, and Ned was startled just as badly as he'd done Tina. With a giggle, and a twirl of pizzaz, Queenie danced into the room. "Yes, Ned, doesn't do to sneak up on a lady." 

"Queenie!" Ned said, and he shook his head, a chuckle in his throat, "Lesson learned. So we're in New York then?" he asked.

Queenie smiled, "Whatever made you guess New York? The fact that I'm here? Can't a girl travel?"

"Well, when a girl hardly ever does," Ned shrugged.

Queenie said, "I don't see any reason to leave New York hardly ever. And Jacob's got his bakery." She sat across from where Tina stood, magically stirring a pot. "Speaking of, he's sent those doughnuts you like, with the jam. I know how you were fantasizing about those last time we saw one another." She waved to a lovely wrapped box on the counter, marked with the Kowalski's sticker and Ned breathed deeply, gravitating toward them. "Heard you were having a bit of a late recovery from your howl-ible evening." Queenie's eyes sparkled under the bounce of her blonde curls.

Ned grabbed the box, "Ha. You're quite punny." He tore open the wrap and found a raspberry jam filled cruller, coated with powdered sugar.  Licking his lips, Ned lifted the doughnut from the box delicately and held it aloft. "Hullo, you beautifully scrumptious -- mouthwatering..."

"If - if you - you're talking to - to my wife," Newt Scamander's stuttering voice sounded, "Then you'd b-best be stop-stopping. Only I - I can call her such things."

Tina looked surprised, "Mr. Scamander," she said, watching him climb down the ladder into the briefcase, "I don't believe you have ever called me scrumptious in all my life."

Newt replied, "Mere - mere oversight."

"He thinks it quite often," Queenie supplied.

Newt grinned.

"Anyways... personally, I was talking to my doughnut," Ned said, holding it aloft for Newt to see as he came into the little kitchen.

"W-well," Newt said, "That - that is scrump-umptious."

Tina gave him beady eyes and Newt's lips curved into a tiny little smirk.

"Jacob says I look better than all his baked goods combined," Queenie piped up, crossing her leg over her knee and giving a charming little pose, fluttering her eyes.