Chapter 10

"What movie should we watch?" Carmen asked.

"Pick anything," my dad said.

"How about Bride Wars?" She asked.

"NO!" Dad and I said in unison.

"Fine. We'll pick something else," she put down the CD. I heard her mutter 'babies'. Ray and her mother had a habit of muttering things.

We kept suggesting things that someone or the other didn't like.

"Let's just take a vote. We're not gonna get anywhere with this," Ray said.

"Definitely, Maybe." Dad suggested. He used to watch that movie with his female colleagues from work.

"Who's in it?" Ray asked.

"Ryan Reynolds, Isla Fisher and Elizabeth Banks," I told her. 

"I'm okay with that," she said.

"I vote against the motion," Carmen said.

"I'm with her," I said.

"Betrayed by my own son," Dad said.

"Moving on, I suggest Life As We Know It. I've seen it before and it's really cool," Ray said.

"It's a PG-13 movie. I don't remember watching it with you," Carmen eyed her daughter.

"I'm fine with it," I said and nudged dad.

"Count me in." Dad said.

"Two are in favor. Life As We Know It wins." Ray said.

"What about our votes?" Carmen and I asked.

"The movie is decided. We will watch Life As We Know It," Ray said.

"Not fair. We should decide this over a game. Winning team decides the movie. No votes," Carmen said and I agreed.

"So you're a team now?" Dad raised his eyebrows.

"What do you say Zack?" Carmen asked.

That was the moment I realized it was all a big scheme. All this was a sham to make us bond together. I could see the slightest bit of tension on dad's forehead.

"It's on," I grinned.

"We'll decide this over the most difficult game of all time," Ray said. "Stone, Paper, Scissors. I play on behalf of our team."

I grinned devilishly. "I am gonna play on behalf of our team."

"We're doomed," dad said.

I was the master of 'Stone, Paper, Scissors'. It's all about psychology. My ability to over think things helped me in analyzing the psychology of people.

"Stone, Paper, Scissors!" We both yelled.

Both of us brought out stone. Next round we took out paper. I smiled. Just what I was expecting. This was gonna be my easiest win.

Thanks to my unbeatable record and powerful strategic thinking, we both were expected to bring out scissors next which meant that Ray, in an (failed) attempt to defeat me would bring out stone.

"Stone, paper, scissors!" We yelled for the last time.

I brought out paper. She brought stone.

"We win!" Carmen and I high fived each other.

Dad and Ray groaned.

"I told you we were doomed," dad muttered to Ray.

Carmen and I discussed movies and finally came up with a movie.