Winter Disaster

The North?

Feng Yu Heng laughed, "Isn't that just the cold palace. It is the coldest and most desolate place in the Northern part of the palace. Word is that the beloved concubine who was whipped to death by the ninth prince was carried out of the palace through the Northern gate and placed into an unmarked grave. She did not even enter the imperial mausoleum."

The matriarch trembled. She was now older and did not like hearing mention of dead people. But this matter involving head imperial concubine Bu revealed some information: It seemed the Bu family was about to meet with a disaster.

In reality, the Bu family had already met with disaster. Starting from the moment Lord Bu was smashed to death by head imperial concubine Bu, the Emperor no longer felt any compassion for that family. But, there was still the position of head imperial concubine, and Bu Cong's position as general was still present; therefore, the feeling of falling out of favor was not as noticeable.

Now, however, the head imperial concubine had lost her power. The general trend of the Bu family was downwards.

"You are saying..." The matriarch hesitantly said: "Could it be that the Emperor will be moving around the officials? Then will anything happen to your father?"

Feng Yu Heng replied with a question of her own: "Does father have any things that can cause trouble?"

The matriarch was slightly startled. Carefully thinking over Feng Yu Heng's question, she very quickly realized that the question she asked was whether or not Feng Jin Yuan had done anything that could offend the Emperor.

But how should she respond to this?

"The way your father behaves and the things he does are visible to you on a daily basis. Some things should only be talked about within the manor. A-Heng, our Feng family must not go down the same path as the Bu family!"

Feng Yu Heng finished up her massage then said: "Whether or not we will go down the same path as the Bu family, granddaughter does not know. Everything will depend on father's plans. After all, he is the leader of the family. Nothing any of us says is worth anything."

The matriarch also knew that Feng Jin Yuan was not someone who was very good at listening to advice. Although there would be times when he would listen to her, whether or not he would end up following through was another matter. In the end, they were just women. The rise and fall of the family never relied on women.

The matriarch sighed then received help from Feng Yu Heng to lean back against the cushions behind her. She then reached out and pulled something out from under her pillow.

"This is for you." The matriarch handed a piece of paper to Feng Yu Heng, "Your courtyard has become the county office, and I heard that many people have gone to congratulate you. This is a bit of grandmother's affection. Do not dislike it."

Feng Yu Heng was slightly surprised then opened up the piece of paper. It was a shop in the capital.

"This is one of my personal shops. There are actually a few more. They are all kept for when you get married and will be used as dowry."

The matriarch's words were quite sincere, which caused Feng Yu Heng to feel a warmth in her heart. She then placed the deed safely in her sleeve, "Grandmother, this shop is not far from Hundred Herb Hall. I will think later on what it should be used for. When the time comes and it has earned money, would grandmother be happy with receiving half of the money?"

The matriarch's eyes lit up upon hearing it, "Half of the money?" She then reacted and recalled that she could not ask for this money and waved her hand, "No, no, it has been gifted to you, so it is yours. Others have brought so many good gifts to your manor. As your grandmother, how can I not express myself at all."