TWENTY-SIX

"It's a familiar warmth."

I smiled as I snuggled closer to the warmth pressing against my back, enjoying the way the arms locked around my waist tightened with my movement. A nose nuzzled the back of my head and a gruff, sleep-wracked voice grumbled, making me chuckle softly. Instead of throwing Nico's arms off, I simply rested my own across his, fingers lacing with his as they rested by my slightly exposed belly button. I blushed a little as I daringly pressed my feet against Nico's warm shin, wanting to feel more of his skin against mine. I was nervous that he might kick me away, but when I felt him smile against the back of my head and sling his thigh over mine, I let out a contented sigh.

"Morning, Nico," I whispered, Nico murmuring his reply and burrowing himself closer to my side, almost pinning me against his mattress. "Nico, you're holding me too tight! You're heavy," I whined, making a feeble, half-hearted attempt to push his body off me. Though I couldn't dislodge myself from his grip, I had enough leeway space to rotate myself so I was facing him, my hands wedged between our chests and fingers flush against his bare chest. 

"Not letting you go," Nico said groggily, pulling me impossibly closer until I had to force to relocate my hands from between us to around his waist. "You'll run away again." I laughed at that, pinching his side gently as I buried my face into the curve of his neck, breathing in his heady scent. 

"Nico, I have to pee though," I whined again, Nico cracking open his heavy-lidded eyes to peer down at me.

"Is that an excuse to run away?" Nico asked, eyes narrowing. I shook my head adamantly, Nico just humming. "I don't trust you."

"Nico, I'm seriously going to pee in your bed if you don't let me go," I said, trying to maintain a straight face as Nico just grinned. I gasped when he hoisted himself up onto all fours, trapping me beneath him. 

"You wouldn't dare," Nico said, leaning down to kiss the side of my mouth. I bit the inside of my cheeks to try and keep the smile off my face, though I could tell Nico noticed the way I quivered when he retracted his lips. I opened my mouth to retort, but Nico just shushed me and trapped my mouth in another kiss, this time square on my lips. I couldn't keep the smile off my face this time, and looped my arms around Nico's neck, pulling him in closer. Ah, Nico's kisses are really nice.

"Hm, how daring of you so early in the morning," Nico growled into my mouth, his tongue flicking upwards, a low moan rumbling from my throat. "And loud too," Nico continued, smirking as he kissed me again, tongues tangling. "You'll wake the neighbours."

"Shut up," I murmured, leaning upwards into Nico's touch. Nico didn't even bother replying and simply pulled me up into his chest, heaving the two of us up until I was sitting in his lap. The blankets pooled around our waists, the air a little cold against our bare backs, but I couldn't care since Nico's warmth was enveloping me right to the core.

Our mouths didn't part for a long time that morning, not until they were thoroughly bruised and our chests heaving. When we parted, Nico with his face almost in disbelief, gently brushed his thumb across my swollen lips. 

"You're really here," Nico breathed out, blue eyes lighting up as they gazed at me. His fingers were so soft as they cupped my chin, his thumb stroking my cheeks, the touch so uncharacteristically tender that I blushed profusely. "Something's changed, hasn't it?"

"Mm," was all I could say, suddenly embarrassed as everything we did last night and this morning finally caught up to me. Nico must have noticed this and he laughed, his gentle fingers pinching my cheeks tightly, making me yelp. 

"But you're still the same. So easily embarrassed. At least you're not punching me this time," Nico said, grinning as I turned a deeper shade of red, pushing against Nico's chest with force. Scuttling away from him, I slid my glasses over my face and glanced above his shoulder at the clock on his desk. I blinked a few times as the red light of the digital clock was still a little blurry with sleep, and almost peed Nico's bed as I saw the time.