Chapter 15: Myles

Three months after our argument we were walking to a car in silence which had become the norm. We were wearing form fitting cider pants and shirts. He looked over at me as I got into the car. Some days he would try apologizing and others he would give me my space.

His parents had called him about the escort who I tried to keep from calling outside her name. She was trying her damndest to get a story out. My mother called every time her office of publicity caught wind. Her calls also came with criticisms I ignored. Ever since the blow out we had kept the balance.

I decided that silence kept the relationship from becoming violent. I would go about my day and come home without having to argue or pretend that everything was okay, and he got to do the same. Bernardo wanted to see how far he could push me to see if I still cared when I first started my vow of silence, but he realized that I wouldn't give him that satisfaction. We barely knew each other, I expected to know more about him than what I could glean from his outburst after spending months together.

I wish things were different.

"To reiterate, we are doing this outing so that everyone can see that you two are doing well, so we need you two to at least smile," Mileta said from the front seat as she pulled off. The smell of Bernardo's cologne diffused inside the vehicle, sending my heart aflutter. I wished my body would fall in line with my brain.

"Can we pretend to be happy together or do we need to cancel this outing?" He looked over at me, and I turned my head. I would have kept quiet, but we needed to put on a front for everyone. This was about more than my feeling, it was about showing the region we were making things work and that they should too.

"This is for work so I can pretend," I replied.

"Okay."

Mileta drove us to downtown Panama City. Before we could even step out of the car a dozen guards were surrounding the car. There were people all around trying to catch a glance at us. Alejandro opened my door with a smile before he turned to look at the crows with lethal intent. He always protected us with a fierceness I couldn't fathom. Knowing that he had a family made me wonder how nervous they must have been for him.

Stepping out of the car, I plastered a smile on my face and waved at the crowd. Average people were using their bio-companions to take videos and pictures along with professionals. I could smell salt water close by as I walked to the sidewalk. The scent mixed well with the food cooking on carts along the street. Bernardo walked over his hand out which took me away from my examination. I tried not to hesitate, grasping his hand, but I faltered. The last time we touched, he was holding me against my will. I grasped his bigger hands in mine with a wider smile.

Not just about you.

"Let's move," Mileta said. She walked, and we followed behind her. We kept a slow pace, allowing me to take in the glass architecture that made up the city. There were pepperings of stone buildings that had stood for hundreds of years. The old world might not have had magic, but they were smart enough to carve a path from ocean to ocean and build things that could last for thousands of years with their bare hands.

Our guards were moving their heads around like oscillating fans. Every movement a citizen made they categorized and logged in their heads. The people did not seem worried by them. They kept waving and smiling at us. I tried to look them all in the eye and smile, but it was impossible. I wanted them to know I was serious about seeing them as important. It would be impossible to convince them all that I was looking out for them, but if I could get a handful, that would be a job well done.

We walked around for a couple hours. We saw shops that sold varying types of merchandise and looked out over the canal. The sun hitting the clear turquoise water was something out of a painting. Though the views and people were nice, my body was calling for food and it was not discreet.