1: Tutoring

"Avery, can you please stop reading ahead. I can tell what you're doing from all the way over here," comments Mrs. Simons, my chemistry teacher.

"Nerd alert," one guy in the front says.

"You wish you were as smart as her," says Ally, my best friend.

"Bitch," the guy responds, making my teacher sigh.

"Next word I hear from you, you are going outside, young man," comments my teacher before looking over at me, "Avery, I know that you probably already know what we learn, but please don't go ahead."

"Okay. Sorry," I reply flipping twenty pages back in the book to where the class is.

I turn over to thank Ally for defending me and she gives me a thumbs up.

At the end of class, the guy sticks his middle finger up in the air to us as he leaves class.

"Wow, what a douche. I thought more people were decent, I guess not. No worries, I will always defend you," Ally says giving me a tight hug.

After the hug I bend down to get my backpack and turn around to face Ally. However instead of her, I am inches away from Ezra's face.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," I blurt out as I make way for this beautiful woman.

Ezra chuckles and seductively whispers, "By the way, nerds are hot."

I'm stunned and unable to say a word as Ezra walks past me.

"Dude that hurt me to watch. You looked like a deer seeing headlights," Ally told me as she laughed uncontrollably.

"It's not my fault that Ezra is absolutely stunning. I mean have you looked at that girls face. Her face is amazing!" I try to explain to her.

Ally stops laughing for a second and looks almost offended. "What about my face?"

"Oh. I mean you're face is pretty too, but like you're my friend so..." I say fumbling around for words.

"I'm just teasing you," Ally laughs.

"God, you're such an asshole sometimes," I say rolling my eyes and heading out of class.

"Hey, if you want to someday make a move on Ezra, you better get more confident in talking," Ally advises.

"Who said anything about making a move on Ezra? I just want to admire her from afar," I explain.

"Oh my god, you're useless!" Whines Ally.

"I need you to clear up some things for me. Why is it that you are crushing on Ezra again?" Ally asks.

"I'm not crushing on Ezra; I'm simply admiring her beauty. What's not to like about how she looks, plus she's gay and that makes her double hot. Not to mention she is a really good person, she's kind and always speaks her mind," I explain.

"I think you are thinking about a different Ezra. Ezra is like a mysterious badass...Wait, if she's gay, then why don't you ask her out? You're gay too. Two gays are happy gays, right?" Ally comments.

"Can't believe you called me hopeless," I tease her, "Ezra is just too much for me. I've only dated one.girl and that didnt work out. Besides, Ezra's like a pro. Why the hell would she ever really notice me?"

"I mean she just noticed you a couple of minutes ago," Ally adds.

"Yeah, but that was more like teasing then noticing."

"Isn't teasing better than just noticing you. Teasing means she likes you, right?" Ally implies.

"But she teases everyone so I don't know anymore. Girls are confusing," I whine.

"Hey, we are girls too, stupid," Ally says lightly snacking my arm.

"No shit." I mumble out.

"Stop this self-deprecating talk, my friend. We will boost your confidence!" Yells Ally, making everyone stare at us.

I try to quiet her down before asking, "How the hell are you going to do that?"

"Practice, my friend," she merely replies.

Just before we are going to head into the cafeteria, I hear my name being called.

I turn around and notice Mrs. Simon's calling out my name. "Avery, wait. I need to ask you for a favor."

"What kind of favor is she talking about?" Ally asks me.

"How the fuck should I know," I say shrugging.

Mrs. Simon's catches up to me out of breath, "I really need to start going to the gym again."

"Same," Ally comments.

"Anyway, I was wondering if you could tutor one of your classmates. They aren't doing well and I would hate for them to have to be held back in their senior year for a class. So, what do you say," Mrs. Simmons asks.

I hesitate for a moment, weighing the pros and cons. I really hate interacting with people and I suck at trying to teach something to someone. It's best if she chooses someone else to tutor this student.

Just as I'm about to decline, Ally blurts out, "She will do it."

"Oh, thank you so much, Avery," Mrs. Simon's says before turning around and walking away.

I turn to Ally in disbelief. "What the heck did you do!?"

"I'm doing you a favor," she replies.

"What! No, you're not. I hate talking to other people. I suck at it."

Ally puts her arms on my shoulders, "that's why I said yes for you. This is your chance to break out of your shell. This is a wonderful opportunity," Ally explains.

I sigh in frustration, "I guess you're right, but I really hate this."

"I know you do, but maybe this can raise your confidence level. After this you might be able to easily talk to people without getting nervous. Then you can ask out any girl," Ally says trying to reassure me.

"Okay, okay. This is a good chance," I say.

"Good. Now let's go eat, I'm starving," Ally says leading us into the cafeteria.