16 - Y/N L/N

December 20, 1943
California

It was 5 o'clock in the morning and I was quietly getting ready for my travels. I was going to have a very long couple of days traveling to Massachusetts. Sergeant Johnson had told me that we had to leave early so I could get to the train on time without much of a hassle. He was going to be taking me to the Los Angeles Union Station.

When I finished getting ready, I went to my parents' room and admired them for a moment. I was going to miss them dearly and I knew that they were going to be hurt when they realize I'm not coming home anytime soon. I then went to my little brother's room and checked in on him. I was going to miss being around him and his playful spirit.

As I walked out the front door, I felt tears slowly building up. As soon as I saw Sergeant Johnson waiting outside in his Cadillac, I quickly wiped away the tears in my eyes. I reminded myself that I had to be strong.

"Good morning, sir," I said as I approached his car.

"Oh, how I love being awake at five in the morning," he replied sarcastically as I put my belongings in the back seats, "Good morning, L/N."

When I sat down in the passenger seat, I looked at him with a puzzled expression. He had never called me by my last name before without adding a "Ms." in front of it.

"What? Get used to being called by your last name. There ain't no more being called Y/N for a while," he explained once he noticed me looking at him. I simply nodded at him and he began to drive.

As we headed for the train station, we talked about different things. It was nice talking to Sergeant Johnson. He was a great friend and a great person to talk to. For being at a good rank in the military, he wasn't stuck up. He knew how to have a good time and make you laugh.

"You ever held a gun?" he suddenly asked. I felt like I could trust him, so I told him the truth.

"Yup, almost had to kill my ex-fiancé with one," I answered, nonchalantly. He looked at me with a shocked expression and I couldn't help but laugh.

"He was an alcoholic and an abusive son of a bitch. I was tired of taking crap from him, especially since he tried to kill me first," I explained to him. He looked a little surprised by my choice of words. I also could tell he didn't know what to say which was to be expected, but it's not like I expected any pity from him.

"Well, damn. You're tough and that's exactly what the Army needs. I could already see you being a pretty damn good shot," he finally spoke up. I hoped he was right.

When we arrived at the train station, we walked to the train I needed to board since it was going to be leaving soon. Sergeant Johnson gave me my train tickets and a bus ticket. He explained how I was going to make a stop in Chicago, Illinois before heading to Massachusetts. I then was going to have to take a bus from the Boston Union Station to Fort Devens in Ayer, Massachusetts. Altogether, it was going to be about a two-day trip.

"When you arrive at Fort Devens, you'll get settled in and eventually meet your platoon and platoon leader. If any of the men try to do anything inappropriate to you, make sure you report it. We figured it might be a problem and we want you to be safe. Those men will be dealt with. You're a soldier like the rest of them, so you deserve to be respected like one," he told me.

That made me feel slightly nervous. I hadn't considered the fact that some of the men might try and do something to me. I hoped I wouldn't have to deal with a lot of situations like that.

"Well, I guess this is it, kid. I hope to hear good things about you. You're playing a huge role in history," he said as he shook my hand.

"Thank you once again, sir, for all the help. I hope it doesn't come to it, but if I don't see you again, I'll see you on the other side," I told him.