Chapter 11: Meeting

Grace hurried down the corridor, her feet moving quickly as her heart sped up in anxiety. She was dreading what would come that night. She wanted more than anything for an evening with Ryan and his father to go well.

She pushed open the heavy front doors and was instantly met with a chilly breeze, the fall air cascading over her and sending goosebumps along her arms. The sun was beginning to descend, the golden streams of light making their last mark on the earth for the day.

Grace continued walking across the grounds. She focused her gaze on the small beads of water that were collecting on the blades of grass from the dewey, night air. She looked up once she noticed Ryan waiting ahead of her just beyond the grounds of Hogwarts.

"Ready to go?" he asked, the ends of his lips tugging upwards when he saw her. Ryan placed his hands on her hips, pulling her close to kiss her.

Grace closed her eyes, returning the kiss. She tried to lose herself in it, attempting to bring back the memories of when their love was sweet. Right now, the kiss felt gentle, and she wrapped her arms around his neck as she deepened the kiss. All she wanted was the way things used to be. She longed to forget about everything bad that had happened between them— the fighting, the screaming, the crying, the bruises.

Maybe she could just forget.

Maybe she would be happier if she pushed aside everything that he had done.

"I love you, Grace," mumbled Ryan. His hands slowly moved to her back, then traveled lower and lower until he rested them on her bottom, squeezing it tightly.

The quick grip made her eyes snap open, pulling her out of her little daydream. Who was she kidding?

"Let's just go, alright?" she said quietly, taking his hand, keeping her eyes locked on her shoes.

Ryan firmly held her hand and stayed still for a moment before disapparating. A dizzy, queasy sensation came over Grace as they spun through the air, but she was soon back on solid ground, only they were no longer standing in front of Hogwarts, but were now in front of the Carrow estate.

Ryan stepped forward, pushing open the iron gate that separated them from the pathway that led to the large house. Once they reached the front door, Ryan tugged on Grace's arm as he stepped inside.

"Father!" Ryan shouted, making his presence known. Grace gulped silently. She felt the weight of the darkness in the air. She wasn't sure what it was, but something felt off— just nerves, perhaps.

Ryan continued forward, still pulling Grace along as they entered a large room, a long table running down the middle of it. Each seat was filled by an unfamiliar face.

"Son, you've made it," started one man, standing up from his chair, and Grace immediately understood that the intimidating man was Mr. Carrow.

Ryan nodded, his eyes firmly locked on his father.

"And I see you've also brought her," Mr. Carrow continued, his gaze settling onto Grace. A sinister smirk formed on his lips. "Well done, Ryan. The Dark Lord will be pleased."

Grace's brows pinched together slightly as she intently listened to the conversation unfolding. She quickly scanned the room, peering at the witches and wizards in dark cloaks that equally matched their dark expressions.

That's when it hit her.

She was at a deatheater meeting.