Chapter Fifty-One "Birdcalls in the Park"

Faith was reluctant, to say the least, as I pulled her along with me to the park.  By one o'clock it was brimming with people and she was hesitant to wander where she could not keep an eye on the Edgehill residence.  "Come along," I sighed when she stopped again, "we should find Thomas."

            "Why don't you go . . . and I'll return to the house," she offered hopefully, "so I'm there when the carriage arrives."

            "No," I insisted, "he made a point that both of us should come.  Let's at least find him and if you have no desire to stay after that . . . then we'll both go back."

            "Promise?" Faith looked at me dubiously, as if there was some catch I was withholding.

            "Yes," I sighed in defeat, "I promise."

            "Okay," she smiled and looped her arm through mine, "then let's find your beau and find out what cockamamie idea he has planned on the most important day of my life."  I found myself laughing at her sudden change in disposition and started to wonder if that was her plan all along, to get me to promise to return with her.

            We walked through the throngs of people out enjoying the warm, sunny afternoon, but it was difficult to locate any one person with all of  the large groups, "Where is he?" I let out a sigh as we stopped in the center meeting area to look around.  It was then I heard my birdcall, at least I thought it was my magpie call.  I stopped and tried to listen over all of the intertwining voices.  I heard it again and when I turned towards the sound I saw Thomas standing on a park bench.  "Found him," I smiled as I took Faith's arm and lead her in his direction.

            "So, that really works?" he laughed as he jumped to the pavement, "You have your own birdcall."

            "I do," I smiled, "but how do you know about it?"

            "Your brother taught me, before he left," Thomas said looking away, "I hope that it's all right."

            "It is," I nodded, "quite all right."  Honestly I was surprised that Freddie would have shared that little secret of ours with anyone, let alone my scoundrel.  But as I realized that he did take the time to teach it to Thomas, it was certainly a sign of his approval.

            "We found him," Faith whispered loudly, "can we go now?"

            "Go?" Thomas croaked, "No, you can't go . . . not until you've seen . . . " his voice tapered off.

            "Seen what," I asked coyly, "What have you been up to?" 

            Thomas said nothing but grabbed my hand and started leading us through the park.  I held tightly to Faith's hand as she protested with every step.  We darted in between trees and soon the busy park seemed quiet again.  Once we finally stopped I was quite out of breath and I could hear my friend panting behind me, "We can't even see the house now!" she whined.

            "I don't think that matters anymore," I remarked as I stepped aside and turned to her.  I watched with excitement as she took in the scene.  There was a large cloth laid out over the grass, on it sat several bowls and dishes of food.  Although the most important aspect was the handsome gentlemen standing beside the picnic basket holding a bouquet of lilies of the valley.  It was like time froze as Faith just stood there, staring.  "Faith," I urged in a loud whisper.

            "Don't," Thomas hushed me, "let them have the moment."  He took my hand and started to lead me away through the trees again, but I kept turning back to see if either Faith or Philip had moved.

            "But I can't see," I stammered following him.

            "That's the point," he laughed, "let them have some privacy."  We stopped in another grove of trees, not quite as secluded as occasionally we could see couples strolling by, but we were still hidden.

            "You planned this all, didn't you?" I smiled leaning back against a tree.

            "Do you not approve?" There was a slight worry to his tone as he kept his head down as his fingers traced over my sash.

            "That depends," I teased trying to look into his eyes, "are you just trying to get on Faith's favorable side?"

            "Philip's a friend," he smiled as he examined the end of my sash, most notably where I began to pull the threads from one corner, "and Faith's your friend . . . so why not help them both?"

            "I suppose I could buy that," I giggled placing my hands over his, "it is a truly lovely thing you did for them."  We remained in our quiet hide for a few moments, barely talking and just lingering closely.  I would have preferred to stay there longer, but it was best that we rejoin our friends.  Faith and Philip were sitting together on the blanket, she was pouring lemonade.  "I hope this means that you finally spoke to each other?" I smirked.

            "Ah, a toast to good friends," Philip said standing, "and the happy coincidence of connections!"  We all took a glass and clinked them together before settling down to partake of the various dishes. 

            It was a most enjoyable afternoon as we sat in the shade of the trees, I beside my Thomas as we watched Faith and Philip reconnect.  I had often wondered if he had felt the same as she did, but now I know as they could barely look away from each other.  I found myself studying them and I longed for my sketchbook, wishing that I could capture their happiness on paper.  I turned to Thomas who was very quiet and he was just lounging, resting on his elbow and watching me.  When I caught his eye he gave me a quick wink and a smile.

            "You know, of all people, I never would have thought that you would be the one to help me find my happiness, Thomas," Philip said after a moment.

            "What do you mean?" I inquired, "I thought that you are good friends."

            "We are," Thomas sat up and smiled at his friend.

            "Well," Philip laughed, "we were as children . . . but lately I rarely see you . . . and when we do meet . . . "

            "That's all going to change, Philip!" Thomas interrupted as he stood and offered  me his hand, "From now on, I expect we'll see a great deal of each other.  We'll owe it to these beautiful creatures to renew our friendship as they have brought us the greatest gift . . . " he took a deep breath as he held me close, "love."  I found it difficult to breathe as he gazed at me so.

            "I am undeniably in favor of this idea," Faith announced as Philip brought her hand to his lips, "there is nothing I would like more than the four of us to spend more time together."

            "Well, perhaps there might be one thing you might like better," Philip offered.

            "Such as?"  I bit my lip to keep quite as I watched Faith ask that innocently.

            "Spending as much time as possible with me," Philip suggested, keeping her hand in his.

            "Oh," she smiled, "of course that!"  I could not fight the laugh that erupted as Faith turned a shy shade of pink.