Bella's Meeting

Athena's Room
Night

Athena's eyes shoot open when she hears a yell come from outside her room. She sits up and slowly stands from her small bed. As quietly as possible, she walks to her door and peeks through the small gap in between the door and wall. Hearing muffled voices, Athena pulls open the door and squeezes through the gap she made. She tiptoes down the hall to where the voices are, getting louder until she stops in front of Bella's room, seeing the door opened slightly, she peeks through and sees Bella and Edward talking. Athena listens in.

"Why? Out of guilt?"

Edward looks to Bella, realising what she meant. "You... think I asked the Volturi to kill me because I felt guilty?"

She looks to him, confused. "Didn't you?"

"I went to them because I thought I'd lost you."

Bella shakes her head. "You didn't even want me." Now Edward takes her by the shoulders.

"Bella. The only reason I left was to protect you. I wanted you to have a chance at a normal, happy life with your dad and Athena."

"But it was so easy for you to leave."

"I had to be convincing. But easy? In my hundred years, I've never had a harder time than what I just went through." She's beginning to believe him.

"I kept seeing you. Visions of you. Always protecting me. I thought I was going crazy."

"Your own instincts were speaking to you. I wish it had been me. But you're the heroic one. You saved me." He moves to kiss her... but abruptly stops. Athena looks behind her and sees Charlie walking towards her, he sees her. Charlie, once close enough, picks her up.

"What are you doing out of bed?"

She looks to him with wide, tired eyes. "I heard a shout." He nods before walking into Bella's room, he flips the lights on and Charlie enters. Edward is gone.

"You alright? Another nightmare?"

Bella nods. "I'm okay. You don't have to worry."

"Last time you said that, you disappeared. You want to talk nightmares after I put Athena back down?"

She looks away. "No thanks."

He sighs tiredly. "Just... don't ever do that to me again. Okay?" There's a pause. "Get some rest so I can keep lecturing you in the morning." He kisses her forehead. Exits. A beat, she turns to find Edward sitting on the bed.

Charlie walks to Athena's room. He looks down at the droopy eyed girl. "Let's get you to bed, shall we?"

She nods, yawning. "Yes Pappy."

He chuckles, walking into her room. Back in Bella's room, Edward and Bella keep talking.

"He won't forgive me easily."

Bella smirks. "Nope."

"Will you? I don't deserve it but... I hope you will. Because I honestly have no idea how to live without you." Bella melts in his eyes. He kisses her.

"You won't be able to get rid of me once Alice changes me.

"She won't have to. There are ways to keep the Volturi in the dark."

Bella pulls away. "They'll come after your whole family. You'd risk that just to keep me human?"

"Just? You really don't understand what you'd be giving up."

"I really do." They look at each other; an impasse. She decides something, grabs her jeans, pulls them on. "You're not the only one with a say in it."

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Cullen House
Living Room

"You all know what Edward wants. And you know what I want. But I won't force myself on you." The whole Cullen family surround Bella. The house has been restored to its original warmth and beauty. Edward sits off to the side as Bella addresses them. "I think the only fair way to handle this is by vote-"

Edward cuts her off. "You can't be serious-"

Bella talks to him firmly. "This is my meeting, Edward." Edward, frustrated, sits back. She faces the family again. "However this turns out, I'm not letting the Volturi hurt you. I'll go back to Italy alone-"

"The hell you will. I'm not missing another fight." Emmett smirks, determination in his eyes.

"That's not up for a vote, Emmett. I don't want you involved."

Esme smiles to Bella. "We've always been involved, honey, and we're not going to stop-"

Bella cuts her off. "No, please. I want you to seriously think about this. If I join you, you'll be stuck with me for a long time - forever. It's a huge decision. And I want - I need your honesty here." They nod or otherwise communicate agreement. "Then let's take a vote... Alice?" Alice jumps up and hugs Bella.

"Like you're not already my sister. Of course, yes!" Bella smiles. Jasper rises, but keeps his distance.

"I vote yes. It'll be a relief not to want to kill you."

Bella looks to him, questionly. "Um. Thanks? Okay, Rosalie?" Rosalie, torn, looks at Edward who's stony toward her.

"Edward, I'm sorry for what I did. I really am. And I know you're not ready to forgive me..." she looks to Bella. But this isn't the life I'd have chosen for myself. I wish there'd been someone to vote no for me and you have a little girl who needs you..." she exchanges a glance with Carlisle. "So... no." Bella takes it stoically. Emmett bounds over and lifts Bella into a bear hug.

"I vote hell yeah. We can pick a fight with these Volturi some other way." Esme approaches and embraces Bella warmly.

"I already think of you as part of the family. Yes."

"Thank you, Esme." Carlisle moves, not to Bella, but to Edward instead.

"Edward-"

Edward cuts him off. "You can't go along with this, Carlisle, you know what it means."

C"You've chosen not to live without her, which leaves me no choice. I won't lose my son." He turns to Bella. "But Alice has never turned anyone. It'd be safer if I did it-" The front door suddenly slams. Edward's gone. Bella blanches but turns to the family.

"Thank you. Thank you all." She leaves with a smile.

{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}{_}

Disclaimer - I do not own Twilight but I do own Athena Swan so no Stealing or copying please