Playing With Fire

Blake

I extended my hand across the table to shake Daves' ,but he grabbed and kissed it instead. I felt the heat rush to my face, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel the electricity when his lips touched my skin. If he had kissed my hand any longer I'm sure I would be on fire. His eyes pierced into me as he drew back into his seat. I looked around nervously to see if the waiter was bringing our food. If he brought the food then that meant we wouldn't have to talk and that meant he wouldn't have any more chances to draw me in. Was he drawing me in? The energy in the room always shifted when he walked in. We'd only been in each others presence a few times, but you had to be a dummy if you didn't feel it. I couldn't quite put my finger on it at the moment ,but it was something about him that had me intrigued. I mean how often do you meet a muslim thug rapper from the Harlem that looks like he should be a Greek statue? Exactly.

"Ummm...Blake ? You can take your hand back."

I broke out of my thoughts and looked up realizing I was sitting there with my hand hovering over the table. My cheeks went red and I hurriedly put my hand down in my lap. I looked down nervously brushing my hair behind my ear.

"Im sorry."

"It's good. I can tell you were thinking. So what's on your mind? Is it me?", he smirked.

"haha you wish. I just got a lot of things going on in my personal life is all."

I couldn't dare tell him that I was indeed thinking about him. He would take it and run a damn marathon with it. I'd never give him the satisfaction.

"Care to tell me about it? I'd like to think I'm a good listener."

I sat and thought about if I wanted to tell him anything about my personal life. I'm usually guarded about anything going in my life that affects me. Im just not open about my feelings. Never have been. It takes a lot for me to get to the point where I open up. It's not the healthiest thing mentally ,but its just how I cope. Most people who know me even some of my friends have never even seen open up, but Dave wasn't like most people. It was weird ,because we were barely acquaintances and somehow I felt like I could tell him anything.

"Well I didn't get a chance to tell you ,but the reason I was at the hospital was because one of my best friends was in there. I discovered her unconscious in her home due to alcohol poisoning. She was in an accident a month ago and it turns out she was pregnant and lost the baby due to the accident and had been drinking to numb the pain. She didn't tell any of us ,not even her boyfriend what was going on."

"Wow Im sorry to hear that ma. Is she okay?"

"Yeah she's out the hospital now ,but it was just a huge shock to all of us. I couldn't imagine losing her or anyone of my friends for that matter. They're the sisters I never had."

"So that wasn't your sister at the club with you ?"

"haha ,no that was Chazz. Thats the friend Im talking about. It was just me and my brother ,but now Im the only child. My brother passed away shortly after I graduated high school."

"Sorry to hear that.", he said. The sincerity in his eyes felt warm to me. It felt genuine.

"Thanks ,but on top of all that my boyfriend's crazy ex-girlfriend showed up to my office trying to start something."

"Whoa...what? A girl showed up to your work place? She bold ."

"Thats what I'm saying. Too bold. Which got me thinking."

"You think he messing with her?" I could hear the almost joy in his voice.

"I'm not sure ,but if she was just an ex why she got so much courage to come to my job if nothing is going on. I didn't even know who she was until I told him about it and he explained to me. I still feel like its something he isn't telling me."