Chapter 10

Thalia had just enough time to raise Aegis over the four of us as bricks and metal rained down from the sky. Dust flew up into the air, clouding our vision and making us cough. I waved my hand back and forth, trying to clear the dust, wishing I hadn't once I saw was directly surrounding us.

It appeared as if some of the Cyclopes had rigged up some explosives to destroy the buildings encompassing the alley, and now, there were four of us in the smack center of a monster horde.

"Andy, do something!"

And I did. Something incredibly stupid, that is.

Although the majority of the walls had been destroyed, the gas main from one of the buildings was still intact. I lunged forward and slashed at the pipe, a steady hiss of gas filling the air as it escaped from the crack.

Then, I lit my hand on fire.

I know what you're thinking – that I'm a complete idiot, because while it served as a threat, there was the very real chance that the four of us would go boom as well.

But my threat was effective, sending some of the Telkhines and empousai who had been on the front lines scrambling backwards, not wanting to blow up. However, the Cyclopes that were there, maybe eight or nine, surged forward, unafraid as they were immune to fire.

"Take another step forward," I threatened, stepping towards the leaking gas main, "and we all blow up."

Internally, every fiber of my being was calling out for Blackjack and telling him to bring some back up, but externally, I had to maintain my composure. One of the Cyclopes tried to rush me, but I put a stop to that by launching a dagger of mine, letting it sink directly into his forehead as he started to crumple into dust.

Behind me, I heard Thalia cry out in pain, swearing under her breath. I also heard two arrows be released; whether it was from Cleo or an armed dracaena, I wasn't sure.

Hey, boss! Where you at? Blackjack said in my mind, leaving me so overjoyed that I wanted to cry in relief.

Down here! I projected, praying that he could hear me. Get my friends out of here first. I'll meet up with you when I can.

You got it, boss!

"Get to the top of those bricks," I whispered to the trio, launching my other dagger at another Cyclops. "Help has arrived."

I didn't turn around, only hearing the sound of footsteps scrambling up bricks. I waited a few more seconds before touching the gas main, a fireball forming almost instantaneously. There was more screaming as the fire spread with the leaking gas, racing in the direction of the sidewalk.

Although the fire didn't burn me, the gas was irritating my throat, making it difficult to breathe. But I couldn't leave yet, not when there were still seven Cyclopes calling for my blood.

Bending down, I scooped up my discarded daggers and whirled around, slashing at anything and everything that tried to touch me. When I got a little reprieve, I ran up the bricks, cursing underneath my breath when I tripped and banged my knee against a corner.

Standing atop the bricks was none other than Blackjack himself. Hop on! he said, lowering himself as I slung myself onto his back, my arms and legs trembling from over exertion. I was about to ask him where the others were, but once I looked into the sky, I saw two other pegasi flapping their wings above the burning alleyway.

Where to? Blackjack asked as he zoomed up towards the clouds, leaving the screaming monsters and mortals in the distance.

"Camp Half-Blood," I rasped out, coughing repeatedly until I no longer felt like I was suffocating. "As fast as possible."