Chapter 1: Sonata (Part 1)

(In case you didn't read the title page: This is an enemies AU fanfiction where Chat has always worked with Hawkmoth from the beginning)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

*** NOTE***

THIS STORY IS MEANT FOR READERS AGES 13 AND UP.

THERE MAY BE SOME HUMOR OR SITUATIONS THAT MIGHT BE CONSIDERED INAPPROPRIATE FOR YOUNG READERS.

READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

____________________________________________________

(Mood music: Trędowata Waltz - by Wojciech Kilar)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Why now, why did it have to be right now?!  Marinette groaned internally as she sprinted against a fleeing throng of frightened Parisians.  She'd been so close to finally asking Adrien Agreste on a date, after several years of working up the courage to do so.  The timing had been all planned out with some help from Alya and Nino; It would've been as the sun sunk toward the horizon. After a group outing for ice cream, Nino would offer to walk Alya home, leaving Adrien and Marinette alone. Perfect lighting, perfect location, perfect opportunity.  It was just her luck that an akuma would appear to ruin everything.  She fumed as she quickly hid in an alleyway and transformed into Ladybug.

If things weren't rotten enough already, she spotted Chat Noir running towards the center of the commotion just a few blocks down.

Great. Instead of spending some romantic time with the guy of her dreams she'd be fighting him and whomever Hawkmoth had corrupted. What a nightmare.

She reached the outskirts of the spacious open-air venue where the akuma was throwing a luxurious formal ball. Within she discovered a large multitude of dancing couples donned in the finest, most elegant clothing she'd ever seen, accompanied by an honest-to-goodness symphony orchestra, of all things. The dancers' faces seemed more confused than anything but they continued to glide and twirl on the dance floor nonetheless. Ladybug realized that their minds weren't hypnotized, but their bodies moved of their own accord, as if by-- well... actually, because of magic. Under normal circumstances she would have been blown away by such extravagant garments and surroundings; it was an aspiring fashion designer's dream. 

Ladybug pushed those thoughts aside and got back on task.  Her eyes darted back and forth searching for the akuma.  She was planning to remain hidden behind some partitions for a few more minutes to try to gather more information about the area, the nature of the akuma's powers, and figuring out where the akumatized item was.  These plans were interrupted, however; she got the wind knocked out of her as was suddenly tackled to the ground and the attacker sprawled their body on top of her.