༄✧ 25. DEADASS

THINGS LIKE LOVE.
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 FIVE: DEADASS

*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*

REAL LIFE

JULY KEATON HAD, UNDOUBTEDLY, MISSED HOME MORE THAN SHE COULD EVER IMAGINE. The second she'd stepped into the threshold, tears had sprung to her eyes and and the familiarity of everything was an overwhelming relief. Natalie, who'd become somewhat of a sister to July, greeted her with a wide smile and a whisper of 'thank god, David's been driving me crazy.'

Two days had passed since then, and after a lengthy five hour conversation that involved a mixture of tears and laughter, July and David were officially on good terms again. Things remained delicate, almost how they'd felt back when their relationship was brand new, but for the time being, everything was good.

Alas, after several emotional breakdowns, a phone call from Jason, and several important discussions, July just hadn't managed to find the right time to tell David about the baby. Whenever the right opportunity seemed to present itself, something or somebody would pop up and ruin in immediately. Quite frankly, even after a mere two days, it was driving July absolutely insane that David didn't know.

She'd been seconds away from telling him the previous night, as they drove down Rodeo with their hands entwined in the middle of their seats and a Harry Styles song playing softly in the background. But as she opened her mouth to speak, the silence became overwhelming and she shrunk away from it immediately, settling against the seat and glancing at David a small smile as he yawned and tightened his grip on her hand unconsciously.

"Do you wanna go to Olive Garden for dinner, babe?" David's curious voice came from behind his laptop screen, cutting through the quiet that'd been cast around the house as he focused on editing his most recent vlog. "You can get that pasta thing that you like, and I'll invite everyone to come with us, if you want?"

Sat on the breakfast counter in the adjoining kitchen, July makes a face and shakes her head, a movement that David was able to see thanks to the open-plan living area. Taking a sip of her water, July hops down to the floor and wanders over to the couch, waiting for David to lift his laptop up before falling onto his lap. "I don't want pasta, but I could murder a chipotle right now."

David quirks his brows in surprise as he shuffled around a little in order to find a comfortable position with the petite, yet surprisingly heavy, girl in his lap. Once comfortable, he rests his laptop on her legs. "I can get Natalie to pick us up chipotle, if that's what you want, but I swear Olive Garden pasta is your favourite."

July shrugs, taking another sip of water from the bottle as she rested her head against his shoulder. Fiddling with his shirt, her lips quirk up at the sides as she speaks in her defence. "I don't know. Last time I had pasta the baby made me puke it straight back up."

She purses her lips as silence enveloped the room and David didn't make any movement for a good thirty seconds before he shoved his laptop aside and carefully repositioned them so that he was staring her directly in the eyes. "Are you being serious?"

July nods cautiously, blinking as her eyes began to sting with tears. David's jaw drops and his eyes flicker down to her stomach, the barely visible numb being hidden by her oversized shirt. "I found out three days before everything happened."

Suddenly more serious than she'd seen him in a long time, he sits back and stares at her blankly. "Say deadass."

July can't help but snort in amusement as she reaches up to wipe a tear away. "Babe, are you serious? You're making me deadass over something like this?"

"You can't lie to me on deadass, not even if this is a prank." He straightens his back in realisation, head flying from right to left as he searched for hidden cameras. A part of him knew that she'd never be so cruel as to prank him about something so serious, but he had to be sure.

"David." July laughs softly, reaching over and cupping his hands in her cheeks, staring deeply into his eyes and nodding once. "Deadass. I'm deadass pregnant."

And just like that, everything shifted. Their lives, once only entwined by their love, were now forever connected by another human being. Everything fell into place with those three words, unconventional, sure, but that was the thing about David and July. Nothing was ever perfect, everything always needed to be tweaked or adjusted, but that was just their reality.

"Holy fucking shit, Juls."

Even after two years, it turned out that, right in that moment, their life together truly began.

fin.