Chapter 26

Kathy found the journey home from the court was much more subdued than usual. Both John and Paul were very quiet and seemed distracted. Kathy had seen Cynthia try to speak to John but he had ignored her. As the taxi pulled onto the driveway, Paul and Kathy got out. John and Cyn stayed in, intending to to straight home. Kathy waved as they left. Turning, she was surprised to find Paul had already gone into the house. She climbed the front steps and as the door slightly ajar, she went in. She found Paul sat on the stairs, staring at nothing particular. She called his name but he ignored her. She climbed the stairs to where he was sat and squeezed herself next to him.

"Hey McCartney," she said softly, gently turning his face so that he had to look at her. To his shock, he was crying.  "Paul! What's wrong? You can't ignore the pregnant woman squashed on the stairs next to you! Talk to me!"

At first she thought he was going to ignore her again. Then, to her suprise, he leaned over and kissed her. She looked at him, her astonishment showing.

"Oh Kathy," he told her, tears still rolling down his face. "I've been feeling so wretched after talking about George and what I did in court today. Then listening to John's words too. It made me realise what a total arse I've been towards you and someone who's supposed to be my mate. Then you, you of all people, who should hate my guts for causing this whole mess, comes over all worried about me. Me! The fool who wrecked everything for you and George. The kiss was just because you are so amazing! I'm sorry. I'm not trying to come on to you or anything. It was just to say thank you for caring when you don't need to."

Kathy hugged him. "I have a feeling that everything will be OK you know."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't really explain it." she looked at Paul, "I was watching the judge at different times today. I know she was moved by both what you and John said about the type of man George is. I think things might be better than we thought!"

"I hope so Kathy," he said sadly, more tears showing, "I really hope that you're right because to see George locked up for something I know I caused would simply kill me and him. Our friendship would be over forever!"

Travelling to court the following morning was different. For the first time John and Cynthia didn't meet them. Paul just shrugged when she asked why. Once in the court, Kathy spotted John and Cynthia stood together. She walked over to them. Paul followed at a distance. Kathy looked around.

"What's the matter with those two?" she asked Cyn.

"I'm not sure," she told her sadly, "John's been like this since yesterday. I think they had words before we left court."

Kathy pulled Paul over so that he was now next to John. "I don't know what's happening here, between the two of you," she told them angrily, "But surely you should be supporting each other and George NOT arguing. I thought we were all here for George? Well?"

"I am." John was sullen.

"And you know I am Kathy love." That was Paul.

"So why the hell can't you do it together," suddenly she found herself crying, "Oh John, Paul, please please think about the way you are with each other. I never ever wanted to bring this to court. And I don't want to see the three of you, who've been friends for so long, fall out over this either! Please, put this behind you for George's sake. He's going to need all The Beatles around him once this is done."

"She's got a point." said Paul.

"I suppose."

"Friends?"

"I suppose," said John, taking his hand. He grabbed it and twisted around his back. "You've always been an arse McCartney....I suppose that's why we love you!" He let him go then both men hugged each other