chapter five- chocolate cake

╔═══════════════╗

LIANA Holly slumped in her seat in transfiguration. She reclined lazily against the hard wood of her seat and she had dropped her textbook on the ground half a hour ago and still not picked it up.

Instead of attempting the tricky spell like the rest of the class she took to playing with a piece of her curly red hair absentmindedly, twirling it between her fingers.

Professor McGonagall was finding it very hard to concentrate on teaching her class that day.

To begin with Liana was creating quite a disturbance as she waved her wand around pointlessly and laughed and chatted away without even attempting her work. She didn't seem to mind that she was the only one who had not made any difference to her rat, as the rest of the class sweated trying to change their rat to a rabbit.

Harry was another reason. He wouldn't stop turning around in his seat to look at Liana and Professor McGonagall felt sure that was the reason why his rat had turned a bright magenta colour.

"Class get out your homework please, Longbottom collect it for me," she instructed, feeling the need to get her class back on track again.

There was a rustle of movement but Liana just stayed put, grinning sheepishly up at Professor McGongall. It was one of her signature smiles that made it almost impossible not to smile back. Professor McGongall clenched her iron jaw and walked over to Liana's desk.

"Miss Holly, why do you not have your homework?" She asked looking sternly down at her.

"I spilt ink on it " Liana explained apologetically and from her pocket she pulled a crumpled piece of paper covered in dark ink splotches.

Professor McGongall sighed and simply plucked the parchment out of her grip, holding it up to her eyes.

"I will make out what I can," she commented as she squinted at the paper through her spectacles. It looked more like a drawing than the essay she assigned but Professor McGongall was too tired of Liana's antics to argue now.

"And for merlins sake Mr Potter, Miss Holly isn't a art exhibition. Please turn around! " Professor McGonagall huffed with exasperation as she saw Harry turn around in his seat again out of the corner of her eye.

Harry flushed bright red and turned very sharply back around.

"I wasn't - I mean -" Harry quickly tried to excuse himself, stumbling over his words as Ron and Hermione looked  at him with raised eyebrows. The entire class glanced up to see the boy who lived duck his head in embarrassment.

Harry shook his head at himself as he turned back to the front. He wasn't looking at Liana for that long he reassured himself.

Liana looked down rapidly as she felt eyes on her back. She wasn't quite sure what to make of this. She barely knew the trio that well and already she felt to have a connection with all three, but this was something she wasn't used to, she didn't often get any attention from boys.