42. A Match Lit, A House Burnt!

Dedicated to aatashabrar for the totally awesome quotes that she deemed fit to share with me and rashidislight for being the patient and kind reader that she is! You guys are really sweet and your supposed means the world to me ❤️❤️❤️

A huge shout out to EYMKVI for the lovely trailer that they made for the book. It's lovely and breathtaking. I'm so grateful.

Do check it out above ☝️☝️☝️

                          IMPORTANT

The chapter is a continuation of the FLASHBACKS i.e THE PAST, where Amara is kidnapped. Please read chapter 40 if you guys have forgotten where we had previously left off.

WARNING:  Explicit description of torture and abuse.

And now finally onto the chapter! Enjoy :)

****

Unknown Location

The first time Amara's eyes flutter open, it is to darkness.

It doesn't take long for her to realize that she is lying on a hard surface. She tries to move but the clunk of metal chains around her feet freeze her. She tries to turn but there are walls around her...above her!

Memories start to rush in and when they do, her hysteria ignites to epic proportions so quickly it's like a pyre.

She is inside a coffin.

Amara screams blood curdlingly loud, a sound straight from the depths of her terrified soul. She thrashes frantically against the restraints, her hands and feet hitting the confines of the box.

“No, no, no!”, she shrieks with growing horror.

Amara hates and fears small and enclosed spaces on equal grounds. A childish fear, but a fear nonetheless, growing with her as her bones did.

“Uncle Pietro”, she screams, tears rolling down her cheeks as a wave of intense fear washes over her, her breathing coming out in gasps.

“Matteo!”, she calls out, “Anyone, please…”, she sobs brokenly.

The names that she truly aches to call out for, are miles and miles away.

And despite her fear, somewhere in the back of her mind a part of her still prays for her family to remain safe.

Amara doesn't know how long she screams for. It might be hours or even minutes. There is only darkness around her. Her piercing screams being the only sound she hears apart from her wildly thudding heart.

There is no reprieve.

She screams and she screams.

Before finally, her shrieks start to soften as panic replaces the intense fear and the darkness finally seizes her whole, dragging her under its heavy current and soothing her woes for a short while.

*****

There is a man standing outside a rundown shop in an alley, a thin paper cigarette hanging loosely from his bottom lip as he leaned against the wall, checking his watch impatiently.

A shadow fell over him and he turned around expecting to see the 'top priority' client whom he'd been sent for, but instead he was greeted by a man dressed in ragged and shabby clothes, the hood of his long coat pulled low over his head.