Chapter 38

Alessandro
26th of November
11:34pm

The night was cold.
I had closed all the windows and I had burnt a fire in the living-area of the Estate but I could still feel the chills running down my bones. The winter skies were dark and almost silent — except from the animals that were scurrying around and trying to find the warmest place to sleep. I'd told Rosie to sleep and the other maids had followed in her footsteps — along with Gabriel and Leah. They had tucked Giovanni into bed hours ago and then they'd fallen asleep themselves. Eva was waiting for me in our bedroom whilst I finished making sure everything was turned off.

My footsteps were heavy but I tried to stay as quiet as possible — not wanting to wake anyone as I made my way towards the bedroom at the end of the hallway.

The silence was comfortable. I opened the door of the bedroom and noticed Eva laying in our shared bed. Her eyes cast themselves towards me as she watched me make my way over. As I came closer — I noticed Arianna sleeping close to Eva. My eyebrow raised in curiosity.

"She came in about ten minutes ago," Eva whispered in a hushed tone. "She wanted to sleep with us tonight. I hope you don't mind... I think she was scared."

I bowed down and placed a gentle kiss on my little girl's forehead.

A gentle breath left her parted lips. My heart swelled in my chest and I shook my head at Eva with a content smile. "Of course not."

My bed was huge. There was enough room for all three of us yet when I climbed into the bed — I felt as though I was closer to Eva and Arianna than I had ever been before. Arianna was in the middle of us, her curly hair sprawled across the pillow, and Eva was nuzzled against her body. I could see her beautiful eyes from over Arianna's petite frame and the sight of her face made joy rush through me.

Tomorrow she would be my wife.

I'd be destroying every single devil that lurked within my life. I'd be replacing my Hell with her Heaven. And I would be giving Arianna what she had missed... someone to look up to. A woman to call her motherly figure.

"Goodnight, sweetheart," I circled my thumb across Eva's cheek.

Her eyes closed and she smiled in utter peace and tranquility.

"Goodnight."

Warmth was now circling my veins. The coldness of the night was no longer affecting me — not whilst I was within the comfort of my bed, with my two angels sleeping beside my body. Tiredness soon reigned over my senses and I felt my eyes become heavy... before they completely closed, allowing sleep to take over my body...

1:23am

A loud crash caused my eyes to shoot open. The speed of how I was woken up caused my head to ache and my eyes became blurry — my hands moving up to rub them. Eva had also woken up but Arianna was still sleeping peacefully in the middle of us.

"What was that?" Eva whispered in a slightly worried voice.

I looked around the room and sighed. It was silent. "Probably just the-"

A gunshot echoed through the room and this time — Arianna gasped and shot up in bed, tears beginning to form in her eyes.