Chapter 1: You're not here

Have you ever imagined how heartbreaking it is for an architect to see the building, which he designed himself, to crumble down from high heights to the ground's level? Or how it feels for a business man to establish a fresh new business, take many nerve-wrecking risks only for his work to drown in the gutter due to a piece of paper telling him that he is bankrupt?

Both scenarios need and want to be avoided by all people-- no one wants to end up in that whole.

Too bad I fell straight into it.

"Luther has escaped."

Three words, five syllables-- enough to destroy my building of hard work.

Those words never stopped reverberating in my mind since the day they left the officer's lips. They caused all the hard work we have put in to just collapse into forgotten dust.

Though I have no memory of the events which had taken place since I fell in unconsciousness, I do, however, have intel from the guys about what occurred.

"The police came shortly after you were shot." Greg elaborates. "Luther was arrested only a week after the entire commotion."

"They found enough evidence to actually lock him away. But we don't know how though since he covered his tracks." Chase inputs.

"We believe someone who hates him might've leaked the information." Jordan joins in.

The three of them fill me in on everything I've missed while I was in a coma. They explain how I almost died on the scene had the ambulance not arrived on time and they all thought they had lost me.

After Kaitlyn heard the news, their tears couldn't stop falling. They visited me almost everyday but they never found out about what truly happened.

Tristan only came to see me when no one was there, or so I have heard. He could not bare the guilt of seeing everyone gathered to check on my well-being. Fortunately enough, he was present when I woke up as well.

He held my hand after the officer had left. He noticed the mini breakdown I was going through, and refused to leave my side even after my mother had told him that he may go home while she takes care of me. Truth be told, I also didn't want him to leave, but soon, memories of how he betrayed me came back in floods of anger, causing a crazy argument between us. Days after, with blood shot eyes and messy hair he came to visit again.

"What are you doing here?" I glare at the person making his way towards the hospital bed.

"I just want to talk. Just--"

"Just what, Tristan?" I cut his sentence. "We have nothing to talk about." I turn my head in another direction do that I don't have to face him.

"Hailey, please just let me explain." He pleads with desperation-filled eyes. "Please."

"You have five minutes." I fold my arms with a huff.

"Look," he sighs and sits next to me on the bed and I make no attempt to argue. "I know I shouldn't have lied, but all of that was to protect you."

"Protect me?" I scoff. "And how did that end for you?" I ask sarcastically.

"Hailey, just," he pauses for a split second. "--listen. The was no way I could tell you, honestly. Henry said," I scoff at that name. "--that I couldn't tell anyone since we didn't know who was spying on us. He suspected that one of his men were working for Luther, hence we later discovered that he knows about you being Henry's daughter."