Chapter Thirty-One {Feathered Mask}

Inside the hotel was beautiful. The lobby was a gold and white theme with a large chandelier hanging in the middle. On the right side of the lobby was a small red carpet with a few people posing for pictures wearing their masks. Before I could make it any further a short man without a mask, dressed in a red tuxedo and a little black hat. "Invitations?" He asked, in a nasaled voice. I smiled at him, Jorden and I had put our masks on before we got out of the car and handed it over to the vale. It was more fun when people had no idea who you are, rather than see your face before the mask was on. It looked as if everyone had the same idea. Unless it was a hotel employee, everyone had on a mask. I handed the bellboy my invitation, which he took with a smile before hole punching it with the shape of a pineapple and handed it back to me, walking away.

"We've got to get our pictures taken," Jorden said, taking me by the elbow and pulling me towards the red carpet, I couldn't help but laugh at his excitement. He reminded me of a child who had just woken up on Christmas morning, His eyes widened and curious, soaking in everything around him. It was like he had never been to any events before, which might be true seeing as he was a first-year hockey star, and you didn't get asked too much of anything until year 3-4. The fact I was asked to this ball blew my mind.

On the carpet Jorden and I stood close together, smiling as the cameras took our photos. Everyone kept complimenting Jorden on his whimsical mask, an oil painted mask with a tint of purple and black under the sliver, with glitter flakes around it. Between his eyes the mask had 3 horn-like shapes, two on one side and smack in the middle, almost touching his hair was a long one. Almost like an evil unicorn. "Where did you even get that thing?" I asked, leaning into Jorden as our photo was taken once again and another shout about his mask was let out.

"I stole it from Molly, she wore it for a mermaid custom like three years ago. It was in her room." Jorden whispered back, smirking as we walked off the carpet and through the large glass doors into the ballroom. I had to stop and close my mouth when we had walked in. a giant, like bigger then my house chandelier hung from the ceiling, a band played Hey Jude on the stage, all dressed in white with black masks on. Towards the front, there was the dance floor, that did have a few people. Women in either big ballroom dresses or skin-tight cocktail dressed that reached the floor in a pool. Men dressed in all sort of colours. Masks of every shape, colour, size. It was almost as if I stepped into a time machine and went into a whole new world. The light was dimmed in the ballroom, tables set in the back towards the door Jorden and I had walked through, We were given a table number before we made our way over to table 19 that sat next to the wall. Along the walls were paintings of every size as well, everything up for auction later in the night.

I made my way towards the table, losing Jorden as soon as he had spotted a woman hanging out drinks. I chuckled watching him go and found our table. It wasn't to fancy, it was a circular table with six gold chairs and a white tablecloth dressing it. There was a water lily in the middle as a centrepiece, along with a tall candle in a gold holder. No one else was sitting at the table, or at least not at the moment. I could tell someone had been there beforehand, a glass of water and wine sat at the table in seats marked H.O and T.M along with four other cards that read Y.Q, M.C plus two guest cards.

I could only assume I was M.C. and decided to order a drink with a waitress that was walking around. While she was gone I decided to take a look around. Now that mister bright side was playing and everyone else was on the dance floor getting white boy wasted.

I spotted Jorden talking to a man with a golden mask and a long black beard and decided to leave him be and make my way around the walls and look at the art.

I didn't give up on my art, thankfully. Once I was out of high school I needed something to help keep my mind relaxed, and that was painting. I was good at abstract. But I did like to draw portraits too. Once I had started the medication I needed something to help me stay awake. Hell if I had new they would be doing an art action I would have donated.