Chapter 2 - The Twenty

I took in another deep breath. This wasn't the end of the world, we'd be out in no time, nothing would even happen. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

       I closed my fists tighter until my nails bit into my palms and the crescent shaped wounds already there, trying to hide the trembling. If I couldn't believe I was okay, I needed to at least seem like I wasn't losing it. Like sharks after blood in the water, they'd sense my fear of them and strike.

       Derrick seemed harmless enough as he shifted his weight and glanced around the group, though his sister Danielle, who stood beside him, was already glaring critically at me.

       My heart sunk when I saw Marie beside her, who was glaring at a spot slightly above my head. Marie had been claiming adamantly all week that she'd be throwing the best post-game party Ashley Waters had ever seen at Danielle's house, but I suppose they'd caved in the end. They weren't any competition for Rocky, and had probably slunk along when no one turned up. Stupidly, I'd been counting on her not being there to tattle to mother, but now she definitely would.

       There was no way I'd be able to bargain my way out of her telling. I had nothing that Marie wanted, and no power. If I had any dwindling hope of Mother not realising anything out of the usual had happened, it was instantly obliterated. Even if Marie miraculously didn't mention anything when we returned, it was too late. I'd been counting on Mother overlooking my absence in the same way she overlooked my existence usually, but she'd surely tear the house apart when she realised Marie was gone.

       Rocky's blue-grey eyes were already fixed on me with a certain gleam that suggested he might actually remember missing out on stealing my first kiss last night, after all. I could barely be thankful that Jay's cold eyes weren't picking me apart when I realised where his frown was fixed, and felt myself stiffen like a mouse playing dead under the watchful gaze of a deadly eagle. Though thankfully his sister Jade's attention was on the group of seven new boys, instead of me, as she twirled a lock of her silky raven hair around a manicured finger.

       Even if she didn't seem to realise I was here yet, it made me incredibly nervous to be in a strange house with her without a clear exit strategy. I had to fight not to shift backwards and out of view behind Wil and Karen.

       Hanging at the back of the upstairs group were Eric and Greg. The luck I'd had with Jade didn't last, as Greg's eyes were locked directly on me. Greg elbowed Eric to get his attention, then both boys' mouths were moving as they talked quietly between themselves and laughed, watching me with predatory gazes.

       The allies I had here were limited to Karen, who still seemed pretty out of it, and possibly Wil, who almost seemed a stranger after so long of not speaking. I knew that possibly six of the people in this room could become in some way violent towards me if so inclined, and that I had to be very careful until everything was sorted out. As nice as Gabe seemed, I didn't know him or his friends. I didn't think they would hurt me, but I couldn't count on their help, either. Not that I would ever consider asking.

       Kota stepped into the middle of the hall, immediately directing everyone's eyes to him. The nervous chatter died down as he eyed each person expectantly, waiting for our undivided attention before he spoke.

       "Our group woke up downstairs, there are no exits there. Every door or window out of the house is blocked off by reinforced steel," He spoke clearly, pausing for everyone to register this. "Does anyone know where we are, or remember getting here?"

       There were shakes of heads, a few answers in the negative. No one had any answers or ideas.

       "There are twenty of us, and it seems that the main thing we all have in common is the fact that we attended Rocky's party last night, and are students at Ashley Waters. Does anyone remember leaving the party?"