Epilogue

February 2002

The crisp chilly air greeted Lily as she stepped out of her flat in Diagon Alley. It was extremely early in the morning, too early for anyone to function as her fiancé George Weasley would say. There was something about early mornings that Lily found so peaceful. The moment before the hustle of life truly began, when birds were just waking up from their deep slumber, the sun barely peeking out, this was her favourite time of day. 

She would usually go to the bakery and get a loaf of fresh bread, but today was different. With a quick glance behind her to make sure she wasn't being followed, Lily smiles to herself before Apparating out of the street. 

Most people would not consider visiting a cemetery as a particularly normal habit, especially on a seemingly ordinary Sunday. Unsurprisingly the area was deserted. Yet this was exactly what the young lady was hoping for. Making her way through the graveyard, her heart sinks as she reads the familiar names of her former classmates. One particular name stands out. 

Lavender Brown.

Stopping in her tracks, Lily pauses at the grave, before conjuring up flowers to rest on the headstone. Lavenders, in the name of the girl who died too young. Despite not having the best of memories of her, Lily could not deny the horrific manner in which her life ended. Now she had another reason to avoid Butterbeer, the drink was just a cruel reminder of the brutality of war. 

Blinking, Lily sighs, moving onto the person she came to see this morning. Therapy sessions after the war helped her sort through her emotions. It meant that she once again did not allow herself to succumb to the temptations of the diamond. Instead she somehow found a way to forgive herself for crimes that she alone blame herself for. With a small smile Lily stops at the tombstone and sits next to it. The grass is damp from the frost, but she did not care. 

"Morning Dad." 

Smiling to herself, Lily pulls out a drink from her bag. She pours out the hot chocolate into two mugs and places one on the top of the tombstone. The inscription read: 

Severus Snape

Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry 

Loving father 

Lily often found herself visiting her dad's grave, especially since she ended up burying him with the other fallen victims of the Battle of Hogwarts. He died a hero, Potter made sure everyone knew the sacrifices Severus made. But that was not the reason Lily visited, for she always knew that he was a hero. Growing up, he made sure to be always there. One of the main reasons she refused to succumb to the powers of the diamond was because she refused to insult his memory. It was hard, and for the most part after the war, she spent a lot of it alone. Without the therapy sessions, she probably would not have found her way back to him. 

The pain of losing a father all over again was doubled since the war claimed the life of Fred too. Other victims like Tonks also hit her pretty hard. The bitter aftertaste of the war meant that no one really wanted to reach out. Everyone was busy barely surviving with their own pain. Without the safety net of her dad, Lily found herself at a crossroad. George needed the time to heal. Ginny was dealing with her own demons. There was no one else she could turn to, yet her memories remained accurate. 

Her mother's promise of always watching over her was one she held onto dearly. 

"Everyone's doing okay here. The store is doing well. I think Ron's planning to come work there too, I don't blame him. Ministry work can be so dull sometimes." Lily takes a sip of the warm drink, savouring the taste. Her eyes narrow as she scans the other grave stones. Heart sinking at the many names that plague the field, she shakes her head, grateful for the ability to live another day.