Bitter-Sweet Remeniscence

Warnings: swearing

This chapter is dedicated to 'guarrae', who came up with the idea for this chapter!

--------------------------------------------------

Varian's POV

"Ga-fuck!" I yelled, my hand aching from the sudden blow it had sustained. My rough and calloused skin was tainted red, a prominent lump appearing on the surface.

I brought the side of my thumb to my mouth, sucking on the skin as I leant down to pick up the hammer I had dropped, cursing my clumsiness under my breath.

That was until my complaining was interrupted by me banging my head on the desk.

"Oh the sweet irony!" I yelled dramatically, one hand intertwined in my hair, the other hand throbbing still in between my lips.

"Varian, are you okay?" A gruff voice yelled from upstairs, muffled and laced with mild concern.

"Yeah, I just... dropped a book," I lied, looking around me at my seemingly clean floor, clean from mess, spare the occasional splatter of corrosive acid.

"It was a... big book," I added, to consolidate my story. Silence.

That means he bought it.

I turned around, my head spinning slightly from my previous head wound from... uhh around fifty-three seconds ago. Fifty-four... fifty-five...

You know if you stopped counting to yourself you'd get so much more done, Varian.

My eyes widened at the memory, and I shook my head to rid the nostal-no. I don't get nostalgia. I am a scientist. My brain is a complex map of nerves and chemicals, and...

Can we really equate love to a simple reaction in the brain?

And I missed her.

I missed her so goddamn much.

I just couldn't get her out of my head, how her laugh brightened the room, how her eyes lit up like a magnesium exposed to fire.

I couldn't focus.

But she'd moved on, and I had to too.

-------------------------------------------------------

(Y/N)'s POV

"I hope he's okay," I sighed, wiping the tears from my puffy cheeks, holding my chicken on my lap. It had been two weeks since me and Varian had separated, and you hadn't seen each other at all since then.

I felt vibrations on my chest as my chicken bounced, clucking slightly.

"You're right, Ordelia, he's probably moved on," I laughed dryly, flinging my head up for dramatic intent. I stared at the ceiling, at the wooden planks that crossed over each other. They held each other up, supporting the other so that they didn't fall. Kind of like...

Like me and Varian used to do.

I groaned, flopping down on my bed.

Why did breaking up have to be so hard.

Why couldn't it be like... the ending of a contract.

A handshake, a hug, and whoopdeedoo! Off you both go, neither left in a perpetual state of denial and depression for weeks.

Well, I was at least.

"(Y/N)!" Your mother called from downstairs. I sighed in defeat; my plans of wailing for hours would have to be postponed.