9: Did I Say That Out Loud?

"Oi, Muscles!" Maddie called, seeing Jay walking towards the doors to get back into the school building. He immediately turned and smiled slightly, changing his paths so he was moving towards Maddie.

"What's up, Red?" he asked.

"The sky." Maddie pointed upwards and then burst into laughter. "Wow that was the most boring response I could've said."

"Why'd you call me over?" Jay questioned. "So you can admire the muscles from close up?"

"In your dreams." Maddie scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"Always." he shrugged.

"I don't care but I just wanted to say you did well out there today, for a guy that's never played tourney before. You played better than some of the princes." she spoke the last word with disgust.

"You're a good player too, Red." Jay laughed a bit.

"Thanks, Muscles." Maddie smiled. The two locked eye contact for a moment, but they were ripped apart when Coach Jenkins shouted.

"Jay!" he called across the field and beckoned for Jay to come over to him.

"Coming!" Jay called back and ran off from Maddie. She watched him for a bit and leaned down, tying her shoelace and listening to Coach and Jay's conversation.

"The team's a bunch of princes, if you know what I mean." Coach said.

"Oi!" Maddie commented, standing up. "What does that make me then?" she raised an eyebrow and walked towards the two of them.

"Well Madison, you aren't included in that category since you aren't a prince." Coach Jenkins pointed out.

"Well I know that." she rolled her eyes.

"You also know that you're one of the best players on the team." Coach added and Maddie smiled.

"Yeah because I'm not with the whole 'I'm royal so I'll play nice' thing." she rolled her eyes. "And archery helps." she shrugged.

"You're telling me." Jay commented. "It's all 'after you old chum', 'oh pardon me, did I bump into you?'" he mimicked a posh tone, making Maddie laugh and snort a bit. "Where I come from, it's 'prepare to die, sucker!'. As my father says, the only way to win is to make sure everyone else loses!" he started to get carried away. "You rip..."

"Jay! Jay, Jay, Jay!" Coach tried to get him to stop. Maddie rolled her eyes and punched Jay's arm.

"Oi, Muscles. Cut it out." she said, making him stop.

"Let me explain a team. Uh, it's like a family." Coach explained.

"You do not want to be at my house at dinner time." Jay said seriously and Maddie raised an eyebrow.

"Trying having ex-bears for family members." she muttered. "Then you have a recipe for mess and disaster. Funny though."

"Okay okay. Um... you know how a body has a lot of different parts? The legs, elbows, ears. But they all need each other." Coach explained, though he was struggling. Jay nodded. "Well that's what a team is... different players who work together to win."

"Well we would if Chad would leave me be." Maddie grumbled. "I swear I'm gonna swing for him one day."

"No you won't, Madison." Coach sighed. "You know he just... likes playing by the rules."

"No. He just doesn't like me." Maddie crossed her arms.

"Anyway," Coach sighe again. "Make any sense, Jay?"

"Can I be the fist?" Jay asked, holding up his fist with a bit of a smirk. Maddie snorted and held her hand in front of her mouth, not covering it though.

"Nah I think you're better suited to be the dick." she sniggered.

"Madison!" Coach exclaimed.

"Did I say that out loud?" Maddie said innocently.