Chapter Thirteen

Every since the ball at Hawthorne Hall, the only thing Cassandra could think of was the fact that she and Kit were now friends again, nothing less and certainly nothing more. It relieved her that their relationship was back to normal.

Yet, there was a perpetual sinking feeling in her stomach, one that she was rather sure was disappointment.

Why should she be disappointed, though? She had been the one who had been relieved at the thought of Kit not wanting to court her, so now she had no right to be disappointed that he had not asked. If she was not willing to reciprocate, then why should she expect another to feel something for her?

This was the rational side of her speaking, however, and not the impulsive, irrational side. She listened to it, too, as she lived almost solely by her rationality, though, so this was not anything new or unique. To be emotional and driven by impulse would only result in her getting hurt.

He was a kind man, though, and she was glad that they could be friends. He was the sort of person who looked after others, who protected them. This was only proven by his willingness to help Lord Southerby multiple times before finally giving up, as well as his love and protectiveness for his sister. It was something she recognised in her own brother when it came to Allie. Although he loved Cassandra just as much, Nate tended to baby Allie more for she still acted like a child.

Cassandra and Nate, on the other hand, had a more adult relationship where they spoke to each other as equals. That wasn't to say that Nate did not protect Cassandra, though. It was quite the opposite, actually— he'd protect her from paper cuts and headaches if he could.

Cassandra rang for Amelia as she rose from bed, sighing at the prospect of another social function. She'd slept in after the long night they'd had, and it was nearly 11 o'clock in the morning. Nate and she had only returned home at a quarter past 2, after staying almost until the very end. Cassandra and Christopher had danced two more dances together, and she had danced four with Nate, one with Lord Salisbury, and few with random gentlemen who found themselves partner-less. She felt absolutely no attraction towards any of them.

One in particular, a Master Victor Potter, had flirted incessantly with her, even going so far as to suggest a courtship between them was imminent. Cassandra could not stand him, especially because he would not stop talking of how he was to soon inherit an Earldom from his ailing father, a very kind, humble and respectable gentleman with whom Cassandra was acquainted. The apple couldn't have fallen further from the tree.

Nate had spent his entire night fending off the attentions of Miss Gabrielle Sinclair and many others like her. Needless to say, he had not enjoyed it one bit. She could recall him once saying that he did like the attention he received from the many pretty debutantes but nearly every single one of them mentioned his dukedom or his pocketbook in the first dance. The remaining never failed to try and seduce their way into getting a ring.

Cassandra prayed that he found a nice girl who'd love him in spite of his money and not because of it.

Amelia finally entered the room, smiling widely and happily as she did. "Good morning, milady. Did you sleep well?"

"As well as can be expected, I suppose." She said, rubbing her head tiredly. "I really dislike this business of attending so many balls. It really tires one out."

"Would you like a hot bath to freshen you up?" Amelia suggested, and Cassandra almost nodded before catching herself. She did not really have the time.

"I don't think so. There is a picnic hosted by Lady Adeline Mills at Kensington Gardens that is beginning from noon. I should be preparing to leave soon. Do you know if my brother is awake yet?" With a grimace, Cassandra let Amelia help her out of her nightgown and into her undergarments.