Chapter Fourteen

Kit was still fuming as Cassandra's carriage left his line of sight and disappeared into the distance. He was both angry and ashamed at George's behaviour. Angry because George was a bastard and ashamed because he was his cousin. He hated to even acknowledge that little fact.

Instead of returning to the party where those attending would only surround him clamouring for answers and details, he chose to hail another coach and return home. He was in no mood for ton's gossipmongers.

As the steady motions of the coach calmed him, he found his thoughts moving from George to Cassandra, namely the kiss they'd shared. When she had reciprocated, it was the best moment of his entire life.

He could still remember the way she felt in his arms, a perfect fit. And her lips had been so hesitant at first, but she had soon become just as..... interested as he'd been.

However, once she'd pulled away and clearly regretted it, he could feel his heart shatter.

It was then he'd decided that he'd apologise for what had happened and hope that they'd be able to be friends again. In his opinion, them being only friends was better than not having her in his life at all.

Unfortunately, it wasn't exactly shaping up to be that way for, every time he saw her, he could feel his heart squeeze painfully.

He sighed as the coach came to a halt outside Hawthorne Hall. He got down and quickly paid the driver, who tipped his hat at him before starting the horses again. Once he entered, he was greeted by Mr. Thornby, the house's butler who'd been a member of the household since Kit himself was just a boy.

"Do you require anything, milord?" Mr. Thornby asked, and Kit groaned before replying.

"I don't suppose it is too early in the day for a whiskey, is it, Mr. Thornby?" He inquired, sorely needing a drink.

"It most certainly is." Mr. Thornby answered, eyeing him disapprovingly, most probably picturing him as the little troublemaking boy from many years ago who could only be quelled by a stern word from Mr. Thornby himself. That boy was gone now, but the respect and apprehension he had of the staid butler still remained.

"Then, I suppose there isn't anything that I need." He said somberly, about to turn to leave for his study where he could drink some of his secret stash of whiskey without Mr. Thornby finishing out. However, he was stopped by the butler clearing his throat very pointedly.

"If I might speak freely as someone who's known you nearly all your life," Mr. Thornby began, pausing until he received a nod from Kit. "This sudden sadness and dependence on the drink isn't anything like you. You must face your troubles like the brave, bold man I know you to be in your heart."

"Thank you, Mr. Thornby." Kit said, wishing he could anything else to show his gratitude to the old butler. But Christopher knew that to hug him would send him well into having a coronary, and so he restricted himself.

When he closed the door to his study behind him, he found himself reaching for the drawer in which he hid his best whiskey before stopping short. He did not wish to disappoint Mr. Thornby who was the only father figure he had left.

He truly was weak, wasn't he?

He pushed such thoughts from his mind and was about to pore over some documents his estate's manager had sent over when, to his great astonishment, the door to his study was thrown open and in barged his sister, with Eloise on her hip and Edward's hand in hers.

"Janie! What are you doing here?" He asked, bewildered. There was a look of fury in her eyes that told him she was not to be trifled with today. Jane let Ellie down and she swiftly toddled over to him and wrapped herself around his legs until he chuckled and lifted her into his lap, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. Edward, not one to be left out, came over to them and poked Kit so that he could also be pulled onto Kit's lap. He cuddled them for a bit before remembering his sister's wrath and looking up again, eyebrow raised and waiting for her to answer.