36. "It's in our bedrooms trash can."

A/N: I haven't posted since last Monday, and it's Friday now. I think that's the longest I've ever gone without posting. I had like 4 tests this week which was annoying asf but I got through it so whatever. Ima try to update tomorrow and/or the day after too.

This story is ending soon, but I'm excited to write 'Princess' too.

-

MACKENZIE'S POV:

"I never stopped loving you, Johnny," I admitted, sighing and sobbing at the same time into the familiar-looking crook of his neck. He was like my safe place, one that I can finally return to after all this time.

Johnny pulled me closer, as I hugged him tighter. I don't want to let this go, I don't want this to end. His soft and comforting embrace was all I need, all I wanted.

But, sadly, all moments come to an end. Annie and Hayden quietly come up the stairs, hands interlocked and sending me soft pity-full smiles. I usually hate pity, but I didn't mind it this time. I was in a good mood, and some pity won't make that go away.

Johnny's back was facing them, but I'm sure he heard them come up the stairs. Annie hugged Hayden's arm, leaning in closer towards him, just watching me like I'm going to make a mistake.

I slowly pulled away, still sniffing. My hair was messy and my face was ugly from all of the tears I spilled. My black jeans were dirty, and my shirt was misplaced. I'm ashamed that the three people I'm closest to have to see me like this, but it's not like it hasn't happened before. Things alike to this have happened a lot the past few months, that came because of how broken and messed up my mind was.

I've also had my fair share of embarrassing moments over the years, and they've all been there to witness it. We all know each other inside and out, and they're basically used to me messing up. Even though Annie and Johnny don't get along at the moment, they used to. Even after they broke up, they were friends. It wasn't awkward between them, and they still continued to think fondly of each other.

I knew I'd have to do something about their relationship soon enough– that is, if they don't fix it themselves. The door was the barrier between us 2 couples. Johnny and I on one side, and Hayden and Annie on the other. Annie let go of Hayden's arm, stepping closer to the door. She swiftly jumped off of it, reaching the side Johnny and I were at.

Johnny instincts got the best of him, as he immediately grabbed my hand, interlocking ours effortlessly. He watched Annie like she could kill him any second, I guess he's become a bit scared of her. I can't blame him. If Annie was this mad at me, I would be afraid too.

Well, I was slightly afraid. Annie doesn't approve of my relationship with Johnny, she just overall doesn't like him. I promised myself I would forgive Johnny no matter what, and Annie isn't going to change my decision. Even though I love her, I'm not going to leave Johnny just because Annie said so.

If she doesn't appreciate my happiness, then I'm going to have to sadly let her go. It's not that I want to, because I don't. But if I had to choose between Johnny and Annie, I would choose Johnny in a heartbeat. Annie is my life-long best friend. And Johnny is the love of my life.

"This." Annie motioned between Johnny and I, putting her hand down right after. "Is a mistake." Annie spits out.

I held my breath, as Johnny and I squeezed our hands even tighter. Annie means a lot to me, and choosing between them will hurt me more than it'll hurt Annie, but I need to do what has to be done.

Hayden was biting his thumbnail out of anxiety. He had no idea what his girlfriend was going to do. Johnny is his best friend, after all, he doesn't want Johnny to get hurt. He doesn't want any of us to get hurt.