Chapter 13

Dad and Ray teamed up again. This time we played tic-tac-toe. Carmen played from our side and ended up losing to dad. We watched Life As We Know It.

On Monday, I went to work. The book release was three weeks away. We had adjusted the store to make space. The store was already more filled due to the advertising we did. Ms. Green was really happy.

"So, what do we have left to do for the book release?" I asked her.

"You have nothing more to do for the book release. I'm going to be visiting the author, Carter Wright more often to discuss details. You're going to completely manage the store when I'm gone." She said.

"Really?" I was shocked. Ms. Green never gave me full responsibility of the store.

"Yes. I can't afford to keep the store closed so much. I trust you to keep the store in good condition in my absence."

I hugged her. She was caught off guard but still hugged me back.

"Did I ever tell you that you're my favorite book store owner in the world?" I said.

"What about my dad?"

"My favorite female book store owner," I corrected myself.

"You're just trying to butter me up. Idiot. Now shoo. I have work to do." She smiled.

I was happy for the rest of the day. I got a text from Jennifer's number around lunch.

Hey. This is Jennifer. Do
you want to go out for lunch?

Hi. Sounds good to me.

Okay then. How about
the pizza place near the
college? Do you know that
one? 

I know that one. It's great.
I'll see you there in an hour.

Cool. See you soon.

I still believed I had seen her somewhere. Her voice and her looks were so familiar.

I drove around the college campus and saw the pizza place. I had been there a couple of times with my dad. My mom and I never had the chance to go there since dad got this job after the divorce.

I parked my car and went inside the restaurant. It was a simple place with red colored furniture and matching walls. The waiters and waitresses wore black t-shirts and beige pants. I saw Jennifer sitting on a table, typing on her phone.

"Hey," I said as I went over to the table.

She looked up and smiled at me. "Hey."

"Am I late?"

"Nah. I'm just early. The teacher let us off five minutes early." She shrugged.

"Good afternoon. Do you know what you want to order?" A waiter asked.

"Pick anything you want," I told Jennifer.

"Okay," she looked at the menu and ordered the tastiest pizza available in the place.

"Good choice. That is the tastiest pizza in this place." I said.

"You've been here before?" She asked.

"A few times. I know someone here," I said.

"Who? Friend, girlfriend, boyfriend?" She smirked.

"My dad works here, actually," I said.

"Wait, is your dad Mr. Woods? Blake Woods?" She asked her eyes wide in surprise.