Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Mr. Schroeder.

Anna

"Crap," I mumble.

"It's okay, guys," Colette says. "Just focus on performing and avoiding eye contact. Jennie is the only one who actually knows us." The three of us nod in response. And Seth, I add in my mind.

Colette taps her drum sticks together signaling for us to be ready, before Sophia and Riley start playing the song we're supposed to perform on their instruments. I open my mouth and start singing the words.

"Oh don't you dare look back
Just keep your eyes on me
I said you're holding back
She said shut up and dance with me."

I continue singing the song, avoiding eye contact with Jennie, Luke and Seth; because I knew if I took one look at Seth I'd break down. I actually take singing as one of those moments that I can get all my emotions out in. Anger, hurt, confusion, frustration. Anything. I get it all out by singing.

I don't even realize that we finished singing the song; until I hear the music stop and I open my closed eyelids. Everyone is cheering and clapping for us, I even hear a few whistles here and there.

We continue playing different songs and about one hour and a half later, Tina calls us off the stage.

"Thank you," I say. "And good night." And another row of cheers and claps fills the huge diner.

The four of us get off of the stage and go take a seat on one of the tables. We all order drinks and wait until our orders come.

"That was amazing," Sophia smiles.

"Yup," Riley agrees.

"I'm going to go to the bathroom. Be right back," I announce, stand up and then I make my way to the bathroom.

*Ting*

I get my phone out of my pocket and open the new text from my dad. Oh crap.

Please don't tell me I'm dead.

Dad: Don't be late.

Okay, I'm not.

Me: I'm guessing mum told you.

Dad: Yes.

Me: I won't.

I glance at the time on the far top of my phone.

12:00 AM.

Oops, guess I'm late. How he didn't notice, I'll never know.

Dad: Ok.

And dad's favourite thumbs up emoji pops up after that.

I'm about to put my phone back in my pocket and look back up before I suddenly bump into someone and tumble backwards. I'm guessing whoever bumped into me, tries to be a hero and save me by grabbing my hand, but they pull too hard that I crash into their chest and I actually feel like my boobs just got squished. Ouch.

I find myself pressed against a guy and I'm gazing in a pair of familiar dark sea green eyes. Not him.

Luke stares intensely in my eyes. It's like a déjà-vu of what happened in the closet. Only he didn't have me pressed up against him and his hand wasn't holding tight on mine, like this time. His shirt is wet and it smells a lot like cherries.

"Crap," I mumble for the second time today. "I'm...so sorry. I didn't mean to bump into you. I-I was just looking in my phone and I didn't know that there was someone else..." I trail off as I realize that I'm basically blabbering nonsense.