CHAPTER 14 - wild one

We've been sitting here waiting for the past 10 minutes. The silence in the room is not a regular occurrence here in dauntless. Everyone is to worried about what will happen to them once that needle enters their skin.

I see Tobias appear from around the corner. He nods a good morning before walking past into the testing room.
I see Eric's body emerge from the darkness and my eyes follow him the whole way down the hallway, but he doesn't glance once.
How can he go from being so understanding and caring to so cold and ruthless in a few hours, it's impossible to understand.

"Alex, your up!" I hear Tobias call me. I stand from my seat not making eye contact with my brother as I walk straight through the door. It slams behind me and I see he's gone. I then around and see Eric sitting behind the computer.
"Sit" his voice is irritated.
I don't say anything I just sit in the chair. His footsteps approach as he prepares my syringe.
"Eric"
"Be quiet"
"Can we please talk about this? I really enjoy our training and I didn't mean to upset yo-"
"I said quiet" he orders and I just shake it off.
I feel the needle make contact with my skin.

-~-
I open my eyes to see absolute nothingness. Everything is dark, oblivious.
I crouch down and hug my hands around my knees pulling them to my chest. My breaths begin to speed up and I rock back and forth slowly.
I blink hoping the brightness would come back but I still see nothing around me.
I blink again and still nothing. I scream a muffled noise into my knees hoping someone will hear my shouting, still nothing.
Everyone is nothing.
-~-

I wake up and look around to see an empty room.
"Eric?" Nothing. He's not here, he left. He didn't even care enough to tell me.
I see a note on the metal table and pick it up.

8 minutes

I'm guessing that's how long I was in there. I sigh before picking myself up from my seat and walking out of the testing room.
I make my way through dauntless and I here a voice call out my name.

"What Four?" I turn on my heels to face him.
He looks surprised that I called him four.
"I'm sorry. For being an asshole to you"
"I'm absolutely sick of you turning from the caring brother to the overprotective asshole in a split second. Your my brother you shouldn't get a say in what I do and don't do." I let it all out.
"I worry about you Alexa, that's all. I'm sorry for being too involved."
"It's alright, see you later"
"Where are you going?"
"Tobias" I warn.
"Sorry I know too involved"

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

I throw my knuckle at the bag for the hundredth time, proud of how I send it swinging. I've been in the training room for the past hour, trying to get my mind off of Eric when all I've been able to do is think it over.
Why would he just want to stop talking to me? There has to be a reasonable explanation for all of this. But then again there isn't.

The flesh on my knuckles is tender and bruised with some blood oozing from them. My minds had time to wonder in the past hour, all I've thought about is Eric and Marcus. Tobias uses the same descriptive words when describing them, ruthless, dangerous, when Eric is neither of these things. He may put on a good act, but from what I've seen it's only all for show. He can be kind, but wants respect.

"What are you doing in here initiate?" I turn around to see Max at the door.
"Just working out sir"
"Well initiates aren't allowed in here after hours without supervision, either find a supervisor or get out" his words are not harsh, only strict.
"Sorry sir, I'll get out now I didn't know" Max continues down the hallway and once I know he's gone I continue to hit the bag.

"I thought Max said get out" then I hear him.
"And I thought we were friends, a lot of things are too good to be true" I fire back at him, staring into his blue eyes.
"You need a supervisor or you leave now" he completely disregards my words which only makes me angrier.
"Eric what did I ever do to you! All I want to do is get to know you and you just decided in the spur of the moment to start ignoring me?"
"I was being helpful to an initiate in need, it's my job" his words hit me like a truck.
"Initiate in need?" I practically spit the question.
"You were having a hard time from the moment you came in so I had to help you"
"So this is about my father" he only nods in response.
"I see. Well then" I quickly walk up to the door and shuffle past Eric not making eye contact. I trudge down the hallway. I thought I would be boiling with anger at this point but I only feel a sadness in the pit of my stomach.

I arrive at the pit the loud sounds booming from every corner. I stroll up to the tattoo shop, the bell ringing as I walk inside. Up at the counter I see mark, anger wells up inside of me. His eyes rise and land on me. He smiles widely.
"Hey Alex! What can I do for you?"
"Why did you tell Four?" The question comes out without my permission. I blush at my boldness.
"I just thought he should know. Eric shouldn't be hanging out with initiates" I feel heat rise to my cheeks.
"Is there a rule against it or something?"
"No but it's just-"
"Just none of anyone else's business. Look I don't want a problem with you mark, your one of my best friends dads, but if you get involved in my business again we'll have one"
Mark only smiles lightly.
"Your a wild one you know that Alex" he lets out a light laugh and I can't help the small smile that appears on my face at his words.