Chapter 44: Rescue

A/N: I have some questions for you all at the end of the chapter, I would appreciate the criticism and your input to move forward with this story.

Chapter 44

Flying towards Miami, Athena struggled to remain calm. Pepper had been taken. Her friends killed and now no trace was left for her to follow. She dreaded breaking the news to Tony.

It was on her.

This was her fault. She knew better than to let Pepper stay with Maya, and now Pepper was in the wrong hands. She'd never forgive herself if something happened to Pepper.

The warm Miami air hit her face, she was close to the coordinates of a secluded mansion.

In the distance she noticed Tony with the Mark Forty Two suit on, the face plate was missing, but he caught it in his hands.

"Dad!" Athena landed swiftly on the ground. With no seconds to waste, she threw her arms around her father, who sighed knowing his daughter was at least safe.

"You're okay," Tony reassured Nina. She was shuddering in his arms, "at least you're okay, we'll deal with Pepper okay." He brought his hands to her shoulders, and kissed his daughters forehead. "No one followed you?"

"I'm sure," Athena nodded.

"Come on, we have to find your godfather."

"Rhodey is here?"

Tony nodded in affirmation, picking up a call. "Speaking of the man himself..." Athena couldn't listen to the conversation,except Tony's words. "Meet in the big house, there's someone I want you and Nina to meet."

Meeting her godfather, Athena hugged him, and Rhodes handed her a gun. Not that she needed it, but with herself feeling physically beat, she took it.

Athena made up a plan on spot, and waited with her godfather, when they heard Tony's voice inside, they both jumped through a window, shooting at a few men guarding the Mandarin.

Both Rhodes and Athena stood up at the sight of the Mandarin casually sipping a Coke.

"You make a move, I'll break your face!" Rhodes threaten, pointing his gun at the Mandarin, Athena did the same.

"I never thought people have been hurt, lied to me."

Rhodes and Athena look at each other confused.

"This is the Mandarin?" Athena said incredulously looking back at Tony.

"I know it's embarrassing." Tony muttered.

"Hi, my name is Trevor—Trevor Slattery," he said offering his hand to Athena, but Rhodes slapped it away. "I know I'm shorter in person—everyone says that, but hey if you're here to arrest me, there's some people I want to—"

"Here's how it works Meryl Streep, you tell them where Pepper is at, and they'll stop doing it."

"Do what?"

Rhodes burned him in the ear with the gun.

"Ow! Ow! Okay, I get, I don't know about any Pepper, but I know about the plan."

"Spill."

"Do you know where they took my suit?" Rhodes asked.

"What? No! But I do know it's happening out the coast, something to do with a big boat, I can take you there—WOO! OLE! OLE! OLE!" He cheered seeing the soccer game on the TV.

Both Rhodes and Athena were startled, "Tony is sweat to God, I'm going to blow his face off!"

"Oh and this next bit includes the Vice President, is that—is that important."