Chapter 4: You Left Me Unsupervised

Dear readers, this isn't a Yui Bashing book. Ryota dislikes Yui for personal reasons, some that may seem a little shallow, and others that have a lot more meaning behind them. Sorry to those who hate Yui - but I respect her to the extent that I'm not going to portray her as a villain.

She's just a human girl who was dragged into a house in the middle of nowhere to become a bridal sacrifice - if we put ourselves in that position, we wouldn't do any better. I know a lot of the fandom hates her, and she has grated my nerves more than a couple times, but for what reason?

Because she isn't a vampire hunter, or has telekinesis or can though people into walls? Because she has self perseverance and she's just as human as we are? I'm genuinely curious as to why people dislike her so strongly, just because she isn't supernatural or the smartest person out there.

Running away from three vampires was a lot easier than I previously believed was possible, not that I had given much thought to saving my neck in the first place.

I couldn't hear the triplets laughing maniacally, which is half of what I expected them to do as I sped down the corridor like Satan was hot on my heels. They also weren't chasing me

Maybe they were giving me a head start for some sick twisted reason, but I sure as hell wasn't about to stick around and find out why.

Holding Memo-chan between my arms, I bolted down the staircase as quickly as I could without tripping over my own feet in the process.

The corridors were quite lit up, not as dark as I'd expect a vampire family to have them. I ran into a room without looking in, slamming the door shut and closing my eyes in an attempt to catch my breath.

'I' ve done my exercise for the year.' I thought with a sigh, massaging my temples angrily with my fingertips before letting my hand fall to my side.

I opened my eyes and scanned the room I had potentially locked myself in. It was the same room in which Reiji had introduced his brothers, and Shuu was still laying there with his hands behind his head like some sort of rebel, eyelids closed like he was sleeping, but I wasn't buying it for a second.

He didn't acknowledge my existence, and I didn't know whether to feel glad or insulted by that.

As I tiptoed around the room with my back pressed against the wall, a part of me questioned whether the dude had stayed there for whatever time I'd been asleep, because he was in the exact same spot in which I left him yesterday(?).

"Um, Shuu? Dude, you good?" I called out uncertainly, rolling my eyes when he didn't respond. I wondered whether he was actually listening to music, but the slight twitch of his jaw when I spoke was enough to tell me that he'd heard me loud and clear. "Hey, do you know what time it is?"

For a moment I thought he wasn't going to answer, and I was about to berate him about manners when he suddenly opened his eyes and cocked his head towards my direction. "It's twilight."

Yeah, dude, that ain't really a helpful reply.

Rolling my eyes again, I looked down at Memo-chan and grumbled. "He's taking the mick, I swear." I eyed the couch in the corner for a moment before sitting on the very edge of it, as far fr Shuu as I could possibly be with Memo-chan pressed to my side.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly scared of vampires, but even I know my place. If Shuu felt like it, he could pick me up and snap my neck like it was a Mikado stick. Personally, I like all my limbs attached, thank you very much.

And let's be honest, between Shuu and the triplets, I'd pick their older brother any day of the week.

"Shuu, do you mind if I crash with you until your brothers leave me alone?" I asked unnecessarily, because I'd already decided to stay there until the coast was clear. But keeping in mind that Shuu was a vampire, I'd like a warning beforehand if he was planning on sucking my blood too.

"Do you hate your sister?" He totally ditched my question, instead dragging out his own. His eyes were still closed, almost arrogantly, like he was above me in some way.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't getting under my skin.

"Is that what it looks like?" I questioned, my voice somewhat strained, and when he didn't answer I took that as a yes. "No, I don't hate Yui. I hate that she acts like a wuss all the time, and how she has a backbone weaker than a plastic straw, but I don't hate her. I've just never really liked hanging out with girls, despite being one myself. They're too much drama."

I stroked Memo-chan's head thoughtfully, flinching when I felt a pressure on my lap, and I looked down only to see Shuu's head resting between my thighs. His expression was serene, which was odd, and seeing his face from close up was unnerving.

His eyelashes were longer than I anticipated, and despite seeming relaxed, his face was all sharp narrow panes and straight edges. As I continued to stare, it felt like I was forgetting something important.

Ryota-

A little boy with light peach-coloured hair and a conflicted expression.

Ryota-

A woman with tired, blue eyes, threading a flowercrown out of the tulips in the wide back garden.

Sing me-

A small dark-haired boy with oval glasses, watching from the window.

Could you sing me-

The sound of violin strings and murmurs of laughter.

Could you sing me a song?

"You are staring." A voice quipped up out of nowhere, and I straightened in shock, blinking down at Shuu's face for a minute before I recognized it.

He must have been the one who spoke, because there was a ghost of a frown in his face, like he was displeased in some way. It took me another minute to realise that he was looking at me from beneath his eyelashes.

"Why does Reiji seem to hate you so much?" I shot back, slightly wary, and Shuu pursed his lips for a millisecond of a moment before finally opening his eyes properly. And damn, they looked even lighter from close up.

"It's none of your business." He drawled, and I opened my mouth to tell him just how unfair that was when a quiet cough echoed through the room. I turned to witness Reiji's stern expression from where he hovered over me behind the couch.

Ok, hoe, I'm going to need you to tone down the creepy to about a two.

"Ms Komori," He greeted, and his voice sounded like all hell had frozen over. Literally, the hairs at the back of my neck were standing on end.

I looked down at my lap only to see that Shuu had darted back to his original place across the room. His front was to us, but his shoulders were stiff, like he was containing laughter.

He finds Reiji's anger funny? Bitch, if you wanna die young, be my guest.

I faced Reiji again with a small uncertain smile. "Um, hi?"

"Your school unfirom is in your room, and I got rid of those pests who were searching for you." He stated coolly, and I could only guess that the 'pests' he was speaking off were the triplets. "Also, I highly recommend not to spend your time with that of a deadbeat."

With that, both vampires dissapeared.

I looked down at Memo-chan with a flat look. "I don't get what just happened. Do you get what just happened?"

As always, she just smiled, but I could have sworn her eyes glinted.

This chapter seems like shit. In the next chapter, Yui wakes up and Ryota goes to night school. Look forwards to it!