Chapter 35, It's a choice

It's my eight time at this damn Masquerade

It's my eight time at this damn Masquerade. I remember the year the North hosted the bloody thing. How could I forget since that was the year the previous leaders got murdered by Southerners. 

I hate the glittering chandeliers and sparkling champagne and bright smiles. The music, I guess, is fine. The dresses, same as always, the food could use Nutella. 

"Hello, Mister Jilten, would you care for a dance?" a fine-looking girl asks with black hair. Her mask is shaped to look like feathers.

"Yes, actually I'd love to dance, but my date hasn't arrived yet," I yawn.

The girl blushes before moving on. Her big blue dress swaying with her as she looks for someone else to dance with. Perhaps I was a tad bit rude with the girl. But my patience is running low.

"So much to feast on," Daniel comments next to me and hungrily looks at all the ladies in gowns and masks. He's in a black mask with purple patterns in the light. His tie matches it and for once, he has his hair swept back in a way that doesn't look like a cow licked him.

"Where's your date?" I ask my friend.

"Where do you think," Daniel grumbles - letting his shoulders sag.

I look over and sure enough, Nessa in her revealing fur-dress is chatting up a tall blonde girl. That woman won't ever stop. Daniel should just become a monk at this point. Speaking of monks...

"Where's Paul?" I ask.

Daniel gestures to the dance floor where Paul successfully has three girls wrapped around him in a slower kind of dance. The poor mute doesn't know what to do and just awkwardly sways. Girls love him. Perhaps because he's so freakishly tall.

By the time Jack's date leaves his side to find the bathroom, my hacker finally comes sprinting back to us.

"What, Miss Mayo too much for you?" Daniel laughs.

"It's Maya, not Mayo and I just... Y'know, need some air," Jack protests whilst out of breath.

"Yeah, I told you not to pick Mayo as your fucking date," Daniel laughs.