Chapter 3 - After All These Years (Part Two)

" I never prepared for a moment like that

Yeah, suddenly it all came back..."

Aria's POV

Aria's POV

"The court is adjourned for the day, until the next date." 

The hitting of the gavel made me slightly jump, as up until now I was in a daydream. Olivia came towards me in front of the court. 

"You look like shit. You look worse than when we came" 

"Gee, thanks for that Oli" 

I love her but sometimes she really needs to analyze a situation and realize when a filter is required. I met Oli 9 years ago in medical school. We have been inseparable ever since. She has been my pillar of strength and her parents helped me out on many struggles over the year. They took me in when I needed it the most. I am eternally grateful for them and her. 

"Come on, let's get out of this hell hole and get a bite to eat." I nodded as I began collecting my bag and coat. 

We made our way down the street. I could feel the lack of food and sleep affecting my system. 

"I really need this court thing to be over Oli. I don't know how much more I can take. I literally have no future until this is dealt with. I am sitting on an unpaid suspension and the longer this drags out the longer I sit in sinking sand." 

"Ari, I know. Darling, I know this is very frustrating and the thought of not knowing kills you but unfortunately there is nothing we can do except to keep fighting and see this through as patiently as possible. There is no point in destroying yourself the way you have been doing so up until now." 

I stared out into the road waiting for the robot to change allowing us to walk across. Olivia nudged me when I gave her no reply. I nodded silently once again.

"Now, we are going to get you a bloody good greasy food substance with a strong cup of coffee." She hooked her arm through mine as we crossed the street. 

 We stepped into the cafe and it was buzzing as always. We got into the queue and I read the menu on the screens by the front tills. 

"Any idea what you're having?" I asked Oli. 

She shook her head slowly while reading her phone. Her face then changed into one of irritation. 

"What's wrong?" 

"No, I am just fed up with that imbecile at the clinic. He can never follow basic simple bloody instructions. I mean how do you mess up taking a patient for blood and back to their room for resting? How!?" I shrugged.

 I knew who she was referring to. The new interns are quite annoying and we as residents having to deal with their crap just adds more unnecessary pressure to the job. And this particular intern was just the clumsiest of them all. I don't even understand how he made it into the program. But I guess we all start somewhere.