20. Plea

-Oliver-  

-Oliver-  

I wasn't sure what time it was, when I finally managed to get a grip. The wolf was still sitting patiently in front of me while I finally let go of him and wiped my face dry. I wasn't sure how, but I had the feeling he was worried about me. When I looked at him, he tilted his head a little, his ears pinned back, and let out a silent cry.

"It's been a long week," I muttered as a reply. "There's this guy at school, and he won't leave me alone... I didn't even do anything to piss him off but he's still mad at me..."

I stopped to take a breath, and took a closer look at the wolf. It was almost like he was listening to every word I said.

"I'm sorry – I wasn't supposed to bore you to death," I said, forcing a chuckle out of my mouth. "You look great, by the way. And scary. I didn't know wolves could grow so big."

He sure was big. I hadn't even noticed it until he was right in front of me. I had seen big dogs before, but never anything as big as this wolf. He stood up and shook himself shortly to get rid of the snow, and I had to admit, I had never seen anything as impressive as he was. Even his paws were bigger than my hands!

"Sooo...? What's the deal?" I asked him, touching his side gently. "You can't decide if I'll make a good meal or not?"

The wolf scoffed at that point, but I was pretty sure it was just a coincidence. I mean... last time I checked, wolves couldn't understand human languages. Then, he suddenly lifted his head up and perked his ears, staying perfectly still. He was looking somewhere towards the street.

"What is it?" I asked, and stood up to listen. I was fairly sure I heard a female voice calling my name. The wolf next to me let out a whine and poked my arm with his nose. "Yeah, I heard it," I muttered, but then I frowned, and looked at him.

There was no way he could understand, right? He just got restless because he heard other humans close by. Right?

He looked up at me, and took a step towards the street, keeping his eyes still in mine. In curiosity, I took a step as well, and he continued walking. It was as if he was making sure I was following. He walked slowly right next to me as I made my way through the snow. When we finally reached the street, he stopped behind the last tree. I saw Mrs. Bundt outside in our yard, standing there with a blanket over her shoulders. She had probably noticed me, since she seemed to be looking in our way – it was hard to tell in the darkness, but she had stopped yelling my name a few moments ago.

I looked down at the wolf, who looked up at me.

"Thanks for keeping me company," I told him, and touched his head. Why I was not scared to do so was beyond me, but I still had that weird feeling that he didn't mind. "I hope to see you again soon."

Then, out of whim, I kneeled down and hugged him once more, before I stood up and started walking to Mrs. Bundt.

I couldn't help but feel reluctant when I walked away from him.