Forty Eight: Silence

Break after the first lesson. Second. Third. Fourth.

No answer.

Oikawa was nearly piercing through the screen of his phone which was showing [Name]'s number. He must have called a dozen or so times already but with no response. There was a signal so the girl's phone was surely turned on. Maybe the sound was off? Maybe something broke? He couldn't think of any better explanations, but something was telling him that neither of them was correct. He had sent [Name] a couple of messages asking to call back, but it didn't change anything.

He was becoming progressively more nervous, all the more that the girl has always been fast with her answers. When it was around time for the evening practice to start and no response came, he decided to skip the training. He knew he wouldn't be able to focus on the game either way, so instead of going to the gymnasium, he headed towards the exit gates.

He sent a quick message to Iwaizumi asking him to apologise to the team in his name. When he looked up from his phone, he noticed a vague silhouette of a girl standing by the exit gates. It didn't take him long to recognise Shizuku. She was looking his way with serious expression on her face.

Oikawa quickly walked up to her.

"Hi, [Name] is not in school if you're looking for her", he said.

To his confusion, Shizuku didn't seem surprised.

"I know", she replied coldly. The boy started to feel uncomfortable. He had an impression that [Name]'s friend was holding some kind of grudge towards him.

"I've tried contacting her but she won't reply...", Oikawa started warily.

"I see you quite don't get the situation", the girl sighed. Oikawa raised his eyebrow in confusion.

"What's happened?", he asked.

"I'm not the one to tell you this, but you're a total jerk", Shizuku didn't reply to his question. "And an arrogant, to boot. To think that you can have every girl you choose".

A cold sweat overflew Oikawa. He clenched his fists and gulped. Impossible. How did she-

"What... Do you...", he coughed up.

"Do you still not get it?"

It was early in the morning, but [Name] couldn't stay still, knowing that she soon would see Oikawa. They hadn't met since their studying session on Saturday and for the girl it seemed like forever.

"If you could even call it a studying session", she said to herself while passing the school's entrance.

She headed towards the boy's changing room, hoping that Oikawa would already be there. She decided to come to his morning practice as a surprise. She smiled, hearing his voice behind the door. Just when she was about to knock, something made her freeze. It was Hanamaki's annoyed voice.

"A bet is a bet and you won. You were able to make some randomly chosen girl fall in love with you. As much as it pisses me off, we have to stick to our promise and buy you this idiotic milk bread of yours".

[Name] widened her eyes. She felt like collapsing. Her breath turned into short gasps and her body started shaking.

Bet.

Randomly chosen girl.

Fall in love.

Won.

These words echoed in her mind and made her weak in her knees. She didn't even realise when she started running but when she got hold of herself she was standing in the middle of the road, right in front of her house. Slouching like a ghost, she walked inside, and opened the door to her room. She dropped her bag on the way and collapsed on her bed. Only then she could gather her thoughts. Suddenly a great wave of sorrow overflew her. A stream of tears escaped her eyes, and she couldn't hold in her howling.

Everything made sense now. Why Oikawa started talking to her, why he was so persistent, why he pretended to be her boyfriend.

Why didn't she realise it sooner?

Ringing.

She reached for her phone.

Oikawa Tooru.

Silence mode turned on.

Why was she so stupid?

And now she was left with nothing. Even her shield which was protecting her for so long was broken. He broke it. She let him break it.

From time to time she heard the vibrations of her phone, but she ignored it. There was no sense in replying. She didn't want to talk to him.

You seem special. [Name], I will never hurt you. Let me in. You're amazing, [Name]-chan.

All of his words were lies. But what she felt for him wasn't and that was what hurt her the most. She really liked him.

Her phone vibrated once again. She glanced at the screen. Shizuku was calling her.

Slowly, she accepted the call.

"Yes?", she said, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Hi, [Name]", she heard her cheerful voice. "Let's go to the cinema".

"I... I don't really feel like going outside", she replied.

"Then I'll drop to you and we'll watch something at home", Shizuku suggested.

"I'm sorry", [Name] said. "I think I'll pass".

Silence followed.

"[Name], has something happened?", her friend asked warily.

"Not really", [Name] replied shortly, feeling on the verge of crying.

"You're horrible at lying as always. I'm coming to you", [Name] couldn't reply as Shizuku immediately called off.

Soon, Shizuku broke into her room with clear distress in her eyes.

"What's wrong?", she asked, seeing [Name]'s painful expression.

[Name] couldn't control her weep anymore. She clutched to Shizuku's chest tightly and started crying.

"Everything was a lie. Oikawa-san, his words, everything", she whined. "He did everything for some bet. He was supposed to make some random girl fall in love with him. And he won".