Chapter One

Rosaline

"Yo Ro! Get yo ass down here now!" the shout came from downstairs. Knowing who it was I rolled my eyes in frustration, and amusement.

"Macy! You are not American! And I'm not going to the fair! So go have sex with Harry behind a candy machine and leave me alone!" I yelled back as I brushed my blonde hair. It was seven pm, and I was already snuggled in my blue and yellow polka dot pyjama's, hoping that would make Macy give up on dragging me to the fair.

I heard loud, angry footsteps up the stairs and groaned knowing my mother had let her in the house, charmed by her sweet smile. Macy came bounding into my room, her auburn brown curls bouncing and piercing green eyes piercing mine. She placed her hands on her hips and said, "You better get out those ridiculous clothes and into something that will have a line of guys asking to have sex with you, within the hour. Now."

I smacked my head on the cream dressing table, making my jewellery tree shake and the mirror to quake. I opened my mouth to protest but before I could even utter a word she interrupted me, hand held in front of her.

"Now."

* * * * * * * * 

Thirty minutes later, including an awkward car journey, with Macy and Harry basically dry humping each other in the backseat and a nervous Mark stuttering a short conversation with me, and we arrived at the 'Cockleshell Fair'. Situated at the pier, the fair was an annual thing, and so far I had been able to avoid it. I couldn't conjure up another case of the flu; otherwise my oblivious mother would catch on to the trick. It however never fooled Macy but my mother's persistence to help me get better always kept the fair away.

When we arrived at the fair, Macy and Harry peeled themselves off each other and proceeded to show off their skills in public displays of affection. The fair was already full, and more people had begun streaming inside.

I pulled down my daring v-neck top (donated by Macy), red, with a low neck and stopping a mile above my belly button. My shorts, if they even were that, had a high waist and ended just on the tip of my buttocks. Paired with hoop earrings and heeled sandals, I was surprised I wasn't, as Macy called it, on the street corner.

After we paid for the tickets, Macy was able to detach herself from Harry and saunter over to me. Twisting a brown curl in one hand, and the other linked with mine, she dragged me over to the waltzers.

"Please! Please! Please!" Macy begged, she latched onto my arm, releasing her curl, he eyes wide, trying to mock a puppy "You know how the boys get on these rides, and I don't want puke on my shoes! So please-"

"If I go on, will you shut up?" I asked. She smiled wide and nodded. With a sigh I said yes and she proceeded to drag me onto one of the booths on the ride.

Five minutes later, Macy seemed to be giddier, leaning into Harry for support as the affects of the twirling and spinning waltzers spun away. Mark walked beside me, having a hilarious conversation with himself about how star trek was nothing like star wars and all those people who say it is need to watch the films. I smiled and went 'ahh' at the correct moments and he smiled down at me, thinking I was listening to everything he said.

I wasn't being mean, or if other people thought I was, I didn't mean to be. Mark, obviously, liked me, but I felt none of those feelings to him. He'd liked me for a while, but I couldn't get into another relationship. It was best for him to find someone else.

"So, um, Rosaline...I was um-" I cut the nervous and stuttering Mark off. I sat down on a nearby bench and patted the seat beside me. He walked over, his hands in his jean pockets. I looked over at him, his brown tousled hair looked like he just woke up and his burgundy eyes held almost plead inside them.