33

[Chapter thirty-three]

-Noah-

She's back. She's really back.

Why did you storm out, you idiot?

What was I supposed to do, Pablo? Talk to her?

YES!

No. She left without a goodbye. Why should I talk to her?

Yes, she left without a goodbye, but she wrote you a letter which might explain everything, but we don't know that becAUSE YOUR DUMB ASS WON'T READ IT!

Shut up, Pablo. I'm done with you.

I make my way back to the University of Eastview (completely made up...I think) and back up to my dorm, slamming the door shut behind me.

I make my way to my room and kick my shoes off before jumping on my bed and shoving my face into a pillow.

I can't believe she's back.

When Max and Dylan told me she moved back to New Zealand, it sounded permanent. They were upset and it didn't seem like she was coming back.

I just want to know why she left in the first place.

YOU'D PROBABLY KNOW IF YOU READ THE LETTER, YOU DOLT!

Shut up, Pablo. I'm not reading the damn letter. Go play the maracas or something.

Why is my human so STUPID?!

Why is my subconscious so annoying?

"Noah, your dumb ass better be here!" Max's voice rings out as the door opens and two pairs of footsteps are heard before the door slams closed.

I let out a loud, frustrated groan.

"Either he's here, or that was the monster under his bed." Dylan retorts sarcastically, making me roll my eyes.

They both barge into my room and I sit up.

"What?"

They both blink at me.

"You're an IDIOT!" Max shouts, walking over and smacking me in the face with my other pillow.

"Ow." I drone monotonously before pushing my hair back.

"Dude, you were so mad at Nevaeh for leaving," Dylan starts. "And she's back now. Why the hell did you storm out instead of talking to her?"

"I don't want to talk to her." I mumble, shoving my face back in the pillow.

"You sound like a child." Dylan states. I can practically hear him rolling his eyes. "Since you don't want to open the letter, you can get some answers from her in person."

I want to protest but I know he's right.

"Stop being a stubborn piece of shit and talk to her!" Max yells.

"Tomorrow." I tell them.

"She's in our literature course." Max tells me. "You can talk to her after class."

"How do you know she's in our literature course?" Dylan asks him.

"Meg texted me." He holds up his phone and waves it around a bit.

Max has liked Megan since Junior year yet he hasn't done anything about it. I'm pretty sure Megan likes him too. They're both stupid and don't see it though.

"Okay. I'll talk to her then." I groan. "Now get the hell out of my room. I need my beauty sleep."

"Beauty sleep?" Max scoffs. "Puh-lease. Your face looks like my ass."

I let out a chuckle as I throw a shoe from the ground at him, nailing him in the forehead. "Get out."

Dylan laughs, dragging him out and shutting the door behind them.

"Max, you and I both know that Noah's one of the most good looking guys in the damn world." I hear Dylan say.

"Yeah, I know." Max grumbles, no doubt rubbing his forehead.

I laugh loudly.

"Thanks, boys!" I call, still chuckling.

"You're welcome." They call back in unison.

*~*

-Nevaeh-

"Ms Fields is a Literature lecturer now?!" I shout as Megan and I walk out of the lecture hall. "What the hell?! I thought I got away from the She-Lewbert when I left."

"I know, me too." Megan agrees as she turns around for the fifth time since class ended. 

"What're you looking at?" I ask, trying to look behind us but she doesn't let me.

"Here let me take you books back to the dorm." She snatches my books out of my arms.

"Megan, what the—" I cut myself off as someone grabs my wrist and start dragging me away.

I snatch my arm out of the person's grip as we reach an empty lecture hall.

"What the fuck, Noah?" I almost shout as I glare at him. His greenish-blue eyes are cold, just like when I first met him.

"Why'd you leave?" He questions calmly, but his eyes are anything but calm.

"I wrote you a letter, Noah." I start, fiddling with my necklace through my hoodie. "You'd know why I left if you read it."

"I'm not going to read the letter, Carter." He tells me, walking closer to me. "Tell me to my face."

I shake my head, running a hand through my short hair. "I can't do this right now."

I turn around and walk to the door. Before I can open it but Noah spins me around and pushes me against it, his arms caging me in as he leans close to my face.

We stare into each other's eyes for a moment before his eyes flicker down to my lips.

"Why'd you leave?" He whispers lowly.

"Noah—"

"Why'd you leave, dammit?!" He shouts, slamming a hand on the wall next to the door.

"You want to know why I left?! My aunt showed up to take me back to New Zealand! My mum went to rehab because she was an alcoholic and a druggie and she was abusive! I left because I'm dying! Is that what you wanted to hear?!" I yell, forcefully pushing him away from me, making him stumble back a few steps.

His eyebrows furrow at the last sentence but I slam the lecture hall door open and storm out before he can say anything.

"Carter, stop!" He runs after me. "Carter!"

He grabs my hand and spins me back around to face him.

"What the hell do you mean 'you're dying'?" He questions, his eyes searching my face. His eyes are worried and scared.

"I-" I cut myself off, shaking my head. "I have cancer, Noah."