Prologue

This is your typical story:

Boy comes to island. Boy finds an alien spaceship. Boy intrudes alien spaceship to retrieve a can of stolen cocoa. Boy finds alien sphere. Sphere gives boy elemental powers. Boy's friends get powers. Boy and his friends become heroes.

That's it. It should be end of story.

Ha-ha.

It's not.

Whatever Boboiboy's faults, he was a hero with vast potential. However, he was 14. And we all should know what kids that are 14 years old do and how act.

Well, I'm a teenager myself, so I can elaborate. We get frustrated easily. We become more sensitive to offensive topics. We even do stupid things like believing the Boston Red Sox is way better than the New York Yankees.

And we make mistakes.

Now I don't know how Yaya and Gopal aren't like Boboiboy. They grew up on Pulau Rintis, which was a sleepy place. Ying was 13. Fang is an alien.

Boboiboy is a human, and he grew up in the city. He'd only recently moved to Pulau Rintis officially.

And we all should know how city teenagers usually act. They're reckless. Heck, I'm reckless and impulsive. Boboiboy is that teenager in the question.

And he began to notice what he had done over the years.

They didn't appreciate his heroism. They took him for granted. They asked him to scrub chicken coops and not even thank him.

At first it was fine. Boboiboy's interest was helping people in need and clean the occasional toilet.

Read: interest.

Not because he believed it was the right thing to do. Not because he's a saint. He only did it because it was his favourite thing to do.

And what happens when that interest wears out? We get tired of even looking at it, much less do it.

Boboiboy was facing that problem. It came to him that how he was so easily shunned aside when Boboibot was introduced. All because Boboibot had no faults! He was a robot, for Pete's sake! He could work all day and all night!

And what was Boboiboy? A human boy with flaws.

Of course, when it was revealed that Boboibot was the tool for a tyrant and hoarded their money, they began to search after the hero they'd shunned aside, Boboiboy. And when he gained a new element, they were doing their best to please him.

It escalated. After the Boboibot incident, nobody even spoke to Boboiboy but his friends. They didn't even manage a proper hello or the wave of a hand.

Of course, all of this was put out of mind when he had TAPOPS to consider. Oh - for the love of God, they all saw him as the powerhouse! The hero that saves the day! Yay!

So not yay.

His fame spread. He was being seen as a walking justice staff, a police or whatever rather than an actual living, breathing person. Or alien. Whichever works.

The only person who understood this was Fang. But the guy was so frequently busy at missions to locate power spheres and stuff he's barely got time to chat.

And the worst part? His friends relied on him too much. They began to laze in battles. They believed that he will win it for them, like how he did in every previous one.

No one comes to him at patrol anymore. Not in space, not on Earth.

"They're just busy," he told himself every time. He was becoming capable of lying to himself. "Next time. They'll surely show up..."

They totally didn't show up.

The last straw: he asked every one of his friends whether if they wanted to patrol with him, or maybe even talk a little face-to-face, but they all declined and claimed that they were busy, that he could manage it on his own. What was there to worry? He's Boboiboy! Saviour of the universe!

End of story? Nope. When he passed by Tok Aba's cocoa stand, he saw them having a picnic on the grass, chatting and having fun amongst each other.

He could have crashed the party, but he didn't. He just stood behind the tree that he'd transformed into Leaf and hit his head on the bark, watching them from there.

Looks like they don't need me at all...

* * *

"Hey, Ochobot," he said to the power sphere the next afternoon. "How's the stand?"

Ochobot shrugged. At least, he shrugged the best he could, having no shoulders and all. "It's fine. How are you, Boboiboy?"

Boboiboy plopped himself on one of the seats and sighed. "Not good."

"Hm? How so?" Ochobot may be a robot, but he's also rough around the edges when it comes to human emotions. Especially adolescents. He hadn't met a lot of them yet, especially when Boboiboy was a late bloomer.

"I want to quit," he admitted.

Ochobot dropped the jar. "Huh? What happened? Why?"

"No reason," Boboiboy lied. "I'm just tired of it, you know. I can't even get a break."

"But, Boboiboy, if you quit, who will save the universe? Who will stop the power sphere hunters?"

Boboiboy grunted. He'd come here hoping to get some reassurance that someone actually cared about his well-being. Looks like the only thing they cared about was if he was well enough to fight.

He can't blame Ochobot. He was still a rookie when it came to teenager sulks.

"My friends. They have powers," he argued. "Besides, I'm leaving Pulau Rintis."

If Ochobot was human and was drinking a cup of water, he would likely spit it out. "WHAT? You can't go, Boboiboy! Adu-du is still around!"

Subtle rage bubbled in Boboiboy's stomach. "It's not like I want to go." That was a lie. He wasn't needed here nor he wanted to be here. "I have family over there. Friends. A life. I can't just throw it away."

He didn't know what Ochobot was thinking, but he was probably silently pleading Ochobot would say he missed him.

Instead, Ochobot was disappointed. Ochobot was thinking, How could he? Why did I give this power watch to someone so selfish?

"When are you leaving?" Ochobot asked.

Boboiboy wanted to sigh out of relief. "Evening. I was thinking whether if we can-"

I don't know what he wanted to say. Maybe just wanted a good time together for the last memorable moment in Pulau Rintis. Whatever the case, Ochobot was not impressed.

"Watch," Ochobot interrupted rudely.

"Huh?" Boboiboy was thoroughly confused.

"Boboiboy, you need to give me the power watch you're having."

Ha-ha. Pretty dumb move from a robot.

Boboiboy couldn't breathe. He'd had the watch so long it'd become a part of him. How could he just give it away like that? If it was a villain that was threatening to destroy the universe, he could understand - but when those words are coming from your best friend?

Just then, something inside of Boboiboy snapped and reformed to something colder. Nothing like being betrayed by your best friend to return home on a high note!

"Fine." Boboiboy placed the watch on the counter and left.

He would miss all his other personas - Fire, Leaf, Earth, Lightning, Wind, Water and Light. He would miss having powers.

But he wouldn't miss being a hero or Pulau Rintis.

The problems at hand: the elements' personalities had embedded into him, whether he realized it or not.

And the fact that the watch would not accept another user but him.