(Rumarin) A Narrow Escape

Requested by: Yяšα
————
It was a pain enough to run through Saarthal with the icy temperatures, but to add to that was the riddles and traps. And to add even more to that was draugrs, in tens or twenties at the very least that wished only to make the adventurers just like them, lifeless.
"Divines' mercy, would you look at that orb!" (Y/n) was stunned as she took slow steps towards the hovering orb, her eyes failing to see the crowned draugr sitting on a throne not too far away from the bluish orb.
"Yeah it's just an orb, I'd like to browse those shelves over there" Rumarin said acting as if he had seen countless like those before
"What for?" she found his lack of surprise rather surprising
"Oh you know, any interesting books..." he looked at the woman and smirked, hinting something that she didn't quite catch the meaning of.
(Y/n) rolled her eyes, she sometimes just couldn't understand the high elf's humor. But caring little about that she continued to walk towards the hovering orb. Still unknown to the draugr sitting near the orb.
Browsing through the tomes, he soon discovered that it wasn't the wisest decision as cobwebs and dust filled the bookshelf more than the books itself.
"Gods! An entire desert of Elsweyr is existing here!" Rumarin coughed, he was about to make another witty remark on the dust when he heard his companion shouting. Looking towards the direction of the noise, he saw the idle draugr from a moment ago was now attempting to attack (y/n) while she tried her best to attack it. Only her spells and blade never even hit the undead.
"What do you think you are doing?!" Rumarin muttered as he conjured up two blades and charged at the draugr, his attacks were evaded as well.
"I think he is protected by some kind of spell, we have to run!"
"Run?! I'm no coward to run from this bonemeal!" Rumarin looked shocked by his companion's suggestion, it was of course sarcasm but it was difficult for the woman to understand it for a couple of moments
"Rumarin do you really think we have the time for jokes?!" she said, barely dodging an attack from the invincible draugr "I wish to see my head attached to my shoulders, so I will run from this bonemeal" she gasped and almost leapt back from another attack.
Now the draugr turned its entire attention towards the elf, and if not for extreme luck the ancient blade would've severed his head. Rumarin widened his eyes and nodded "thanks for proving me to be an idiot once again, I'm right behind you!" he replied and followed (y/n) to what seemed like an exit.
Thankfully she had grabbed the flame atronach scroll from earlier, summoning the atronach distracted the draugr, giving them enough time to escape from it.

Pushing the door open, they both crashed on the snowy ground. Before they quickly pushed the dungeon's metallic door close with their backs and locking it with a shovel that was lying around. The only noise now was the howl of a wind and yet they felt like they could hear the horrific growls of that draugr.
"That was close" Rumarin muttered, beads of sweat gathered around his forehead, he feared that his heart might break his ribs judging by how fast it was beating
"You don't say" (y/n) answered, taking a deep breath, trying to ease her mind
"Jealous piles of bonemeal" the elf sighed "if he didn't just startle me like that then I would've surely won!"
The woman laughed at his response before she too walked away from it, glancing back once more just in case. It was rather dark by now, but thanks to the aurora show it was not difficult to see in the dark. Rumarin walked ahead of his companion, reaching atop the stairs that lead to the ruins. They were wandering for a while in this cold waste, intending to reach Winterhold but it was still too cold and dangerous to wander at night so (y/n) asked to camp for the night.
"Maybe we could camp for the night? It'd be too dangerous if we go on ahead" she said
"And here I thought you would never ask, yes please or I fear that I may become one of those draugrs by nonstop walking" Rumarin replied, sighing of relief and choosing a place to make the campfire. The elf's companion placed a few hanging moss and ruined books in that campfire, setting them to flame with a simple fire spell.

The pair sat down near each other, silently watching the dancing flames before the elf began to mess around with a lute. Creating a few familiar tunes they heard in taverns before, but it wasn't all accurate though, sometimes he would startle (y/n) with a few wrong, louder notes.
The woman wasn't paying attention until the louder notes compelled her to do so, she turned her gaze towards the altmer, his hood was pulled down revealing his golden locks tied in a low clean ponytail, his eyes looked tired as they stared at the instrument he held and yet there was a strange mystery in them, the red streaks under his eyes made them appear somewhat... intimidating but in a curious manner.
As Rumarin felt the woman's eyes on him, he looked at her, she was startled but immediately said "Where did you get that?" (Y/n) curiously looked at the lute, hoping that he would forget about her staring at him.
"In the dungeon, along with a copy of the Lusty Argonian Maid" he chuckled "well we did get chased by an invulnerable undead but at least this timeless legend was rescued" he added, he intentionally said that in a rather serious tone making it sound all the more funny.
The woman didn't want to laugh but still couldn't hold back a grin "timeless legend" she quoted, sighing in disbelief "well you play that lute beautifully, so all hope isn't lost" she teased, glancing at him
"Correction" the elf lifted his index finger "I can make funny jokes, I'm a Bladebinder and I have intimidating makeup... no sorry, warpaint" he smiled a little before he began strumming the lute again.

The woman rested her back on a rock behind her, staring momentarily at the ruins of Saarthal which was far from them now.
"If we were killed by that draugr, would you have any regrets?" (Y/n) asked, surprised that how grim she sounded even though it was just a question. Rumarin paused and glanced towards the woman, he too rested his back on that rock looking intently at her
"Well maybe, I know I read this argonian book countless times before but it would be sad to not read it again" he casually replied
"Rumarin I'm not joking, it's a serious question" she lightly punched him on his shoulder.
The altmer glanced at the flames and smiled before he turned his gaze back to her again "Yes there would be... I mean I sure would miss escaping from dungeons like this, and then sitting under starry skies with someone... now that sounded bizarrely similar to something that someone would say in a love story" he giggled, (y/n) couldn't tell if he was doing so out of being nervous or embarrassed. "It does actually" she replied, nearing him a little too close and tilting her head, expecting him to move back from her. Unexpectedly Rumarin didn't, he raised a brow and smirked "and this looks like something that someone would do in a love story... is there something that you wish to tell me?" he quietly said, still sounding somewhat sarcastic as he looked into her eyes
"Oh well... I thought y-you would scoot back and I'll say something funny and we'll both laugh" she nervously giggled "you know? Hehe..." she stuttered
"This truly seems like I'm in a love story, just look at you... all nervous and stuttering, I bet if I hold your hand you'll say something cliche like 'I love you' or something" he chuckled, shortly picking her small hand up into his. The woman was startled when he did that, she laughed slightly in an attempt to hide her flustered face
"Don't know if this is platitudinous but I did fear at Saarthal that I might never see you again" she said, unknowingly entangling her fingers with his
"I guess you can call that a sort of a confession... so are we accepting that we are in a love story? I mean it's getting awkward to just sit here this close and just chat" he said sarcastically
"Oh no my bad, I forgot to get back from you" she said jokingly and attempted to get away from the elf. Rumarin rolled his eyes and pulled her back to him "at least sound a little believable in those sarcastic words" his tone was hushed, she chuckled before reaching up to him, waiting momentarily to look into his eyes as if she tried to read into his soul before closing the small gap that was remaining between them with a sweet kiss...

————
(A/N): just in case anyone of you are wondering who this character is, he's from a mod called Interesting NPCs. Also I couldn't find the artist for the picture used here, if anyone knows who it is then let me know.