Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I rubbed my face tiredly as Scott rushed into my room, "Katherine, I need your help- whoa, you okay?"

I quickly nodded, standing to my feet, "Yeah, sorry, I was lost in thought." I excused, "What's up?"

"We're going to the hospital." He told me, tossing me my lacrosse hoodie, "Put some shoes on, I'll be waiting for you in the car." He told me, giving my face one last analyzing look before he left my room.

I let out a breath of air as I pulled my hoodie on, stumbling as I bent over to grab my old converse, quickly tugging them on and tying them before making my way downstairs. I grabbed a granola bar on my way out, rubbing my swollen eyes as I got in the passenger seat beside Scott.

**

People were being rushed in on stretchers, ambulances full. One came, then left, one came, then left. Over and over until people could barely walk without touching someone.

Scott held up Mom's dinner as we approached he receptionist's desk and she relaxed, letting out a sigh, "Oh thank God!"

She rushed over and grabbed the food, smiling widely at the styrofoam container, "I am starving!" She told us.

She paused like she had remembered we were here,"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Thank you guys for bringing me dinner!" She brought us in for a hug and my eyebrows rose at the amount of people rushing around the hospital.

"Is everything okay?" Scott asked her.

Mom nodded, "Except for half of the accident victims in a ten car pile up being rerouted here from downtown, and the E.R attending not answering any of our pages.." She hummed, "Yeah, I'm okay." She let out a breath of air and I squeezed her shoulder reassuringly.

Scott bounced on his toes, "What does not answering pages mean?"

"It means that nobody can find him, so we have to wait for the on call to get here." Mom told him.

A woman rushed over to us, holding her arm as she whimpered in pain, "Miss?" She asked our mom, "Can I please have something for the pain?"

Mom nodded sympathetically as she grabbed the woman's shoulders softly, "Okay, look I know you're hurting. But, actually, giving you something could complicate things. So we really just need to wait for the Doctors."

She guided the woman over to a chair and Scott and I shared a look and I nodded towards her. Scott left my side to go help the woman, and I watched as he casually sat down beside her.

"You know I read somewhere that human contact can help with pain." He told her.

The woman looked up and cried, nodding slowly, it was obvious she would do anything to stop the pain. I looked around to make sure no one was watching as Scott put his hand on hers, slowly taking her pain away.

"Someone! I need help! Please! Oh, I need help!" Ethan screamed.

I turned towards the hospital entrance, my eyes widening at who Ethan was pulling in, "Danny!"

I stopped when images came into my head, Doctor Hilyard. She's driving. She suddenly crashed and my vision stopped.

My eyes snapped open, "She's going to be taken." I muttered.

No one heard me though. Mom and Scott we're currently rushing to bring Danny over to a set of chairs in the waiting room.

I ran over to them and grabbed Ethan's arm,"What did you do to him?" I yelled.